Anybody else out there like some Jazz?

I'm not, but I've been exposed to a lot of it, since I've been around my jazzheads. Almost everyone that plays on a jazz CD is a great musician. I can totally appreciate the quality, complexity, and creativity of the music, but I simply cannot get into it since it lacks the dark nature, energy, or agression that is present in all the music I listen to. Though it is very skillyfully played high quality music, it just never "clicked" with me because it is too mellow and upbeat. That being said, I have found that Wes Montgomery, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, John Coltrane, Joe Pass, etc. were extraordinary musicians.

i saw pat metheney do a clinic and he warmed up for a few minutes in front of everyone and got such a big applause for warming up. i thought that was pretty funny. and then he played a few songs with his trio and that was really good.

I understand the concept that Jazz is bright and upbeat, but some of it is slow, dark and hits your soul hard. It's a different kind of soul-wrenching from Metal. I'll come up with a specific list of some songs that display these qualities.

Would you class Santana as jazz? latino-jazz maybe

anyway yeah, santana are great, saw them live last year, twas awesome. You could recognise all the guitar players in the audience because everytime Carlos went into one of his solo's, all the guitarists stood up on tip toes and craned their necks to watch like hawks

the guest drummer was pretty damn amazing too, cant remember his name though, natch

I don't know anything about jazz, but I know what I like :)
I got to play some jazz in school, but not enough to learn who wrote what. After three years of mainly jazz and funk I started to actually appreciate what I played, but that was the last school year so I never got into it more deeply.
I've always tried to sneak in some jazz and funk basslines even when I play metal. Mostly because it's fun :)

Fucking sweet! Good thing I've been looking around the boards otherwise I wouldn't have stumbled onto this. I myself play saxophone and have found Rollins to be a favorite of mine!

jazz was good...

now is almost dead...

except few musicians still creative like for example dave douglas....

my best:

-ornette coleman
-john mc laughlin
-john coltrane
-charles mingus
-eric dolphy
-thelonious monk

:p