Anybody have Beyer Dynamic DT770?

I'm going to get a pair of these for Christmas and I'm just not sure which model i should be getting. Either the DT770M, the DT770 pro 80 ohms or the DT770 pro 250 ohms. I'm planning on using these headphones on everything, recording drums, listening on my iPod, mixing/monitoring live and in the studio, and vocals.

Which one would you buy? The more opinions THE BETTER!

Quick links

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.c...dio-and-stage/studio-headphones/dt-770-m.html

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.c...o-and-stage/studio-headphones/dt-770-pro.html

I'm using both 770M (80 ohms) and 770Pro (250 ohms). I got the 770M for live work since I do a lot of FOH these days and for this they're brilliant. I got the 80 ohm model since I always work with different desks and I wanted to be sure that I could drive them properly. I also use them now and then when I travel, mostly on the way to festivals or during tours since I have to bring them anyway.

I use the 770Pros mainly for reference during mixing and mastering. They're more comfortable but have less isolation in return. The sound is also a bit different: the M model tends to sound a bit boxy, I guess due to the completely closed design. The Pro model also has a bass reflex port which gives them a bit better low end response. That said, the boxiness of the Ms is mostly apparent right when you put them on and it hasn't bothered me during hours of ipod listening.

If I were you I'd probably go for the Pro model, 80 ohm version to accommodate for the various different listening setups that you mention. The ear muffs are more comfortable to wear over extensive time periods, especially if it gets a bit warm (I don't have problems with sweating a lot so for me it doesn't matter much, but I know it can be a problem for others). They also sound better overall. You'll lose a few dB of isolation but I'd say it's worth it. If you eventually end up doing a lot of FOH or monitor work, you could always get a pair of Ms as well at a later date. But until then the Pros should definitely work for your wishes.

I too have the 770 pro 80 ohm, and I agree with what tgs said. The 770M seems to be geared to isolation mainly and are good for drummers and FOH I've heard. The 770Pro are IMO better for referencing and general listening though, and are a bit more comfortable. I also agree that the 80 ohm will be a better choice for the situations you will use them in, since they are easier to drive.

I will add though that imo the mids sound a bit "distant" on these headphones. They wouldn't be my number one choice for pure headphone mixing. On the other hand, I don't really like doing that on any pair of headphones. And I think the low bass makes up for it. It may be a bit exaggerated, but as long as you keep that in mind, you can tell pretty well what's going on in that area. When I worked in an untreated room, I've always used these phones to judge the subbass, and it made my mixes translate much better to systems with a subwoofer.

Using the DT770Pro 250 Ohms extensively during night time sessions. I did not like them at first, they felt some what boxy in the mid range, but over time they have grown much better (or my ears have gotten used to them).

They does not translate to my monitors very well (KRK V4). The balance is always rather off in anything I've done with the headphones and my guitars tend to get too dark/too little presence. But they are comfortable and have a smooth enough sound for being very good for long time composing sessions, and I do enjoy listening to other mixes/music in them.

dt770 250ohms here. they do require a rather long break in. first listen i was extremely disapointed, but after leaving them on for 2 days to break in they sound great.

Any you nigga's try the 600 Ohm versions?

Was thinking of getting them with the intention of buying a quality headphone preamp in the future?

But for now I wonder if a 002 will have enough juice on tap? Any ideas?

Beyerdynamic themselves say that 80ohm version is for portable devices and the 250ohm version is for studio work and sounds better.

DT-770M are very isolating, they're eg. for drummers and whatnot where you need good isolation with a decent sound (compare these to Vic Firth SIH1's, for instance..).
I wouldn't use them for mixing, though. DT-770(pro) are more "standard" headphones. I wouldn't use those for mixing also. :p Too woofy/big bottom for my taste when I last tested them. DT-250/250ohm is where it's at. :D

I have the 250 ohm 770's and i actually don't much like em, much prefer the Audio Technica ATH-M50's

heck if you want mine i'll even sell em to yuh at a great price