Anybody know of a single good disco band?

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
I think this is a genre that had a lot of potential, and the Bee Gees tracks on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack demonstrate this very well. But I've heard a lot of bad things about the genre as a whole, and I imagine that searching for more of this music would yield little besides one-hit-wonder groups. So does anyone know of a disco group that would be worth listening to at album-length?

Note: I honestly don't expect anyone here to be familiar enough with disco to help me out, but I figured it was worth a shot, if only for the discussion.

erm my friend likes Chic a lot but I don't know if they are funk or disco or what.

Forgot about ABBA. They're probably one of the best candidates. "Summer Night City" is a fucking awesome song.

Haven't heard of the others, though isn't Diana Ross more of a Motown/soul artist?

I don't really listen to any straight up disco, but I listen to a bunch of bands that incorporate it into their music at times, and it usually goes down pretty well. I have a feeling there are some awesome underground disco bands out there, but I don't know of any currently. I'll try to find some and let you know if I have any success.

ABBA was disco ? I thought they were pop

I used to like the song Cut the Cake - Average White Band, Pick Up the Pieces was a bit redundent. I think I liked them due to the funk guitar parts combined with horns but that was about it. Play that Funky Music White Boy was pretty cool too, cant remember who did that.

Best bet is to watch Night Fever and be glad that its an era long gone... lol.

Well I looked around a bit, and Black Devil Disco Club seems to be a fairly solid disco group, though their disco is 100% electronic, so I dunno if thats what you're looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
ABBA was disco ? I thought they were pop

They probably only did disco during the 2 or 3 years that disco was the rage, much like literally every mainstream band in the world was doing at the time. But from what I've heard they're one of the better pure pop bands out there, so their disco output may have been better than most. I'll get around to listening to them in depth someday.

I used to like the song Cut the Cake - Average White Band, Pick Up the Pieces was a bit redundent. I think I liked them due to the funk guitar parts combined with horns but that was about it. Play that Funky Music White Boy was pretty cool too, cant remember who did that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_that_funky_music

That is a pretty hot song.

I don't recognise the other one you mention.

Best bet is to watch Night Fever and be glad that its an era long gone... lol.

That movie is fucking awesome.

What's really creepy is that the movie was the main reason disco became so huge...

Well I looked around a bit, and Black Devil Disco Club seems to be a fairly solid disco group, though their disco is 100% electronic, so I dunno if thats what you're looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHxNWMqMqP8

It's ok. It would be better if the recording/sample quality weren't so shit. It sounds like fucking '80s video game music.

I actually came across an electronic disco album recently that really kicked my ass - Gay, Black and Married by My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult. Fucking awesome album.

I much prefer funk, although disco had some cool stuff. Can't think of any bands with more than one or two good songs though.

This Whatnauts track was sampled by De La Soul to great effect:

Second video isn't working anymore. The original song is fucking badass, though, so thx for posting it.

The second video works, but it's had embedded disabled so you have to bring up the info page and paste the URL in your browser to view it.

Second video isn't working anymore. The original song is fucking badass, though, so thx for posting it.

No problem. Jamiroquai also have done some pretty cool disco type stuff:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmgK3eIeUBY&feature=related[/ame]

I think this is a genre that had a lot of potential, and the Bee Gees tracks on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack demonstrate this very well. But I've heard a lot of bad things about the genre as a whole, and I imagine that searching for more of this music would yield little besides one-hit-wonder groups. So does anyone know of a disco group that would be worth listening to at album-length?

Note: I honestly don't expect anyone here to be familiar enough with disco to help me out, but I figured it was worth a shot, if only for the discussion.

Forget any of the more well known stuff, with the exception of Cher (yes, really - she did some amazing stuff in disco). The mainstream version of disco is horribly skewed from the real thing.

The majority of records played by Larry Levan at the Paradise Garage and the Loft back in the 70s were by unknowns, so finding single albums by such artists now will be next to impossible.

Get your hands on Larry Levan's "Live At The Paradise Garage", and also "Disco Forever" by Dimitri from Paris, and any compilations by the SalSoul record label, and you should be right.

The majority of records played by Larry Levan at the Paradise Garage and the Loft back in the 70s were by unknowns, so finding single albums by such artists now will be next to impossible.

Get your hands on Larry Levan's "Live At The Paradise Garage"

I checked this out, good stuff.

if you want new disco check out the flaming fabulous over the top band Scissor Sisters

and diana ross definately put out some disco music.