Anybody listen to Winterhawk?

modernwizardry

I want stout!
Aug 18, 2009
Chicago, IL
satanshallow.bandcamp.com
Picked up a couple CDs a few months ago on Rockadrome by a band from the late 70's/early 80's called Winterhawk from Illinois...a live album and a studio. Wow...very amazing guitar player. I especially recommend the live album. Very Rush-like with also metal tendencies. For fans of Rush, Thin Lizzy, Wishbone Ash, Iron Maiden, etc.

I guess this video is from a reunion show in 2006:

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw them play the the first Alehorn of Power Fest at the Double Door in Chicago....they were very dull. It was cool to see them still going at it. But they played right after Twisted Tower Dire so that is hard to follow up.

I have been very curious to learn the history of this band.
I too was at the Alehorn show. I wonder if that is even where the video is from.

I agree with Diabolik, they were quite dull compared to the rest of the line up that evening.

Anyhow, this band used to play big places like the Aragon in the 70s and 80s.
Maybe they were a bigger local band who opened for headliners back then.

The guys in Slough Feg are fans. Or at least Mike is. When they played the Milestone in Charlotte, they played Winterhawk over the PA pretty much the whole time they were setting up.

Really good stuff but I could see it being dull live. Never knew TTD played with them but do know they are fans of WH.
If interested I know where you can find the CDs;)

The singer for TTD at the time kept putting this Winterhawk shirt over the PA and the sound guy kept having to walk over and move it.....this happened literally like 10 times in a 30 minute set.

I used to see thier CD's at Metal Haven for years. They are gone now. I am sure Ebay has them.

The first Alehorn was....

Gates of Slumber
Twisted Tower Dire
Winterhawk
Bible of the Devil
Slough Feg
Manilla Road

a whole 70 people were there....once Manilla Road came on...literally like 30 people were left.

I have been very curious to learn the history of this band.
I too was at the Alehorn show. I wonder if that is even where the video is from.

I agree with Diabolik, they were quite dull compared to the rest of the line up that evening.

Anyhow, this band used to play big places like the Aragon in the 70s and 80s.
Maybe they were a bigger local band who opened for headliners back then.

In the booklet of one of the CDs, it says they were from Downer's Grove. I'm pretty sure they were just big locally.

The singer for TTD at the time kept putting this Winterhawk shirt over the PA and the sound guy kept having to walk over and move it.....this happened literally like 10 times in a 30 minute set.

Ha! I forgot about that. Too funny.
That was an amazing night of metal.

Though it would have been better if they had Manilla Road go on BEFORE 2AM, or whenever it was. More people would have stayed for them.

In the booklet of one of the CDs, it says they were from Downer's Grove. I'm pretty sure they were just big locally.

Too funny! I live in Lombard.
Bob (Diabolik) and I always talk about how many cult bands are from the Chicago-land area, but you wouldn't know it.

I didn't know for many years that Usurper was a Chicago band, for example.

I used to see thier CD's at Metal Haven for years. They are gone now. I am sure Ebay has them.

Gates of Slumber
Twisted Tower Dire
Winterhawk
Bible of the Devil
Slough Feg
Manilla Road

a whole 70 people were there....once Manilla Road came on...literally like 30 people were left.

Too funny! I live in Lombard.
Bob (Diabolik) and I always talk about how many cult bands are from the Chicago-land area, but you wouldn't know it.

I didn't know for many years that Usurper was a Chicago band, for example.

Guys, I've recently added a band to my MP3 player called, Enforcer. Apparently, they're from Chicago. I'm not familiar with them yet, but maybe I should be. Bob/Jason, are the both of you fans?

~Brian~

Gates of Slumber
Twisted Tower Dire
Winterhawk
Bible of the Devil
Slough Feg
Manilla Road

Are you kidding me?! That's abysmal....and is indicative of exactly what is wrong with the heavy metal "scene" nowadays. How can a show like that go virtually unattended while Black Dahlia Murder and Lamb of God are the ones who cash in? Fuck that shit. I'd give anything to have seen that show...that looks awesome.

Yep, it will be hard to ever top THAT Alehorn.
Though there are plenty of solid cult US bands who rarely play, such as OMEN, who could make for a great night!

I know there is a Chicago ENFORCER, but I have never heard them.
Are they on STORMSPELL RECORDS?

Are you kidding me?! That's abysmal....and is indicative of exactly what is wrong with the heavy metal "scene" nowadays. How can a show like that go virtually unattended while Black Dahlia Murder and Lamb of God are the ones who cash in? Fuck that shit. I'd give anything to have seen that show...that looks awesome.

Well Manilla road doesn't have money backing them, folks are not interest in old metal, bla bla. Although there is is trend of so called "traditional metal" it still seems that That traditional cult bands like this are the black sheeps of the heavy metal family. No matter still the best stuff. Manilla Road is one of my favorite bands, currently debating getting a tat of the skull and helmet.

Slough Feg might be picking up a bit in popularity though. I was just told they are not featured in video game soundtracks.

Hey you guys seemed to appreciated the finder of the heavy metals so I'll ask ya; have you heard Witches Mark yet? Hard to place the bandl Mercyful Fate, Manilla Road, old Fates Warning, Griffin, yet newer black metal has come up in reviews. And Germans seem to really dig it.
So have you guys heard it.
Ok so there was probably a plug in there. Need to be careful so that I'm not booted. Though I see others here are quite obvious about it but they are favorites here so... Ok cool got that out and now feel better. Moving on.