Anyone been to a recent Mastodon show?

rainmaker_2413

Shadow I am
Sep 23, 2006
I don't know how many ppl in here enjoy Mastodon, but I was wondering if anyone has caught any of their shows since the release of Blood Mountain. I'll be seeing them in a couple of weeks and am really excited about hearing some of the new stuff. If anyone knows what all they've been playing, please let me know.

My review from 2006-09-15:

Last night was Mastodon, and sweet baby jesus, do they kick ass. This was my fourth time seeing them (I thought it was only the 3rd, good thing I keep records!) and I think it was the best of the four. They played a good mix of all their stuff, with a minimum of bullshit...I think they introed like two songs. The cool thing about Mastodon is that if you get bored with the rocking out, you can stop and focus on their playing like a prog nerd, and that's just as impressive. I think I'll always love how much Troy Sanders reminds me of Peavy from Rage. Brann Dailor is a darn good drummer, but he's one of those dudes that just looks bored sitting behind the kit, so he's not that exciting to watch. There were a couple points in the encore where he was smashing the shit out of his toms though, so that was cool. Finally, the metal gods must have been smiling on me, since I had the good fortune (probably a 50-to-1 shot) of ending up with cute-girl-ass grinding into me in the crush, which is always preferred over fat-sweaty-man-ass!

I don't know the exact setlist or anything, but for me, that really doesn't matter at a Mastodon show. As long as that lurching riff from 'Blood and Thunder' is in there somewhere, everything else is gravy!

Neil

My review from 2006-09-15:

I don't know the exact setlist or anything, but for me, that really doesn't matter at a Mastodon show. As long as that lurching riff from 'Blood and Thunder' is in there somewhere, everything else is gravy!

Neil

Very true, I will happy with whatever they play. This will only be my 2nd Mastodon show (1st with them headlining). Maybe I will get as lucky as you did with the cute girl...I hope so anyways:)

I'm seeing them on the 24th for my first time and I can't wait. Their new album is fantastic. I'm also really excited about Converge because I like a lot of their stuff and from what I've heard, their live show is incredible.

I'm seeing them on the 24th for my first time and I can't wait. Their new album is fantastic. I'm also really excited about Converge because I like a lot of their stuff and from what I've heard, their live show is incredible.

Awesome, you'll be seeing them the day after me. Converge isn't gonna be at my show though, it is just Mastodon/Priestess

Edit: I just checked the dates and it only has Priestess listed for your date as well. Hopefully that isn't correct though and you'll get to see Converge as well.

Awesome, you'll be seeing them the day after me. Converge isn't gonna be at my show though, it is just Mastodon/Priestess

Edit: I just checked the dates and it only has Priestess listed for your date as well. Hopefully that isn't correct though and you'll get to see Converge as well.

Crap, you're right, I didn't know that Converge dropped off the tour...oh well, I'm still excited to see Mastodon.

There coming to a small club about 45 minutes away from me soon, but I haven't decided if I'm going to venture over or not. The crowds that these types of bands draw is what pisses me off. :rolleyes:

Saw them this past Monday. Great show. Didn't care much for Converge. I enjoyed Priestess. Very reasonable prices on the merch. I don't quite remember the setlist. It was heavy on the new album to start out. It is the same (or very similar) to a recent setlist I saw.

This Mortal Soul
Wolf is Loose
Crystal Skull
Capillarian Crest
I Am Ahab
Sleeping Giant
Circle of Cysquatch
Iron Tusk
March of the Fire Ants
Where Strides the Behemoth
Mother Puncher
Aqua Dementia
Bladecatcher
Colony of Birchmen
Megalodon
Blood & Thunder
_________

Hearts Alive

Saw them this past Monday. Great show. Didn't care much for Converge. I enjoyed Priestess. Very reasonable prices on the merch. I don't quite remember the setlist. It was heavy on the new album to start out. It is the same (or very similar) to a recent setlist I saw.

This Mortal Soul
Wolf is Loose
Crystal Skull
Capillarian Crest
I Am Ahab
Sleeping Giant
Circle of Cysquatch
Iron Tusk
March of the Fire Ants
Where Strides the Behemoth
Mother Puncher
Aqua Dementia
Bladecatcher
Colony of Birchmen
Megalodon
Blood & Thunder
_________

Hearts Alive

Thank you! Just curios, but about how much was the merch? I'm glad that it's reasonable cause I'm thinking about picking me up a Blood Mountain shirt.

All the t-shirts for Mastodon were $15.00. They had zipup hooded sweatshirts for $35.00. There were about 10 different designs for the t-shirts. Only the Blood Mountain shirts (black or brown shirt) had the tour dates on the back.

All the t-shirts for Mastodon were $15.00. They had zipup hooded sweatshirts for $35.00. There were about 10 different designs for the t-shirts. Only the Blood Mountain shirts (black or brown shirt) had the tour dates on the back.

Those prices arent too bad at all. Thanks for posting that.

:headbang: Im checking this show out because of converge..... Have seen them a few times and damn what a show they put on. Never got into mastodon, but will stick around for there set.