Anyone Ditched their iPod for Another MP3 Player?

Have you thought about getting a Nokia MusicXpress cell phone? I got mine, and it works like a dream. All it needs is a Micro SD card with your tunes, and you can play it everywhere. And, it works with your BlueTooth setup. No BT? No problem! You can use headphones with it. Our iPods basically sit unused for the MusicXpress.

A *very* belated update...thanks to everyone for the responses. I decided I wasn't quite ready to make the switch. So I tried to do the online thing where you trade your current iPod for a refurbished one. The web site shut down just as I was finishing the transaction. :mad: I took my iPod into a store to do a trade there. Got it home, and the iPod didn't freaking work!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I took the defective refurbished iPod BACK to the local Apple store, and as they could clearly tell that the crazy lady's head was about to explode, they sent me home with a brand new iPod. All's well that ends well. (For now...)

Glad to hear they hooked you up with a new one.

To any Zune owners in the thread, feel free to send me a friend invite. I'd love to have more Zune cards to sync with to explore more music on my Zune pass.

Zune tag: Diabolos

Glad they did the right thing and gave you a new iPod. Which one did you get?

I still have an iPod Classic 5th generation. Steve told me how you can upgrade the hard drive to 240 GB (!) and I did just that. I put all my MP3s on there with room to spare. It's great when I fly, which I do a LOT for business. Really keeps me entertained while I'm being held captive at 35,000 feet :lol:

Glad they did the right thing and gave you a new iPod. Which one did you get?

Got the 160G Classic -- it's thinnner than the old 5th Generation, which is nice. But I *still* would have been perfectly happy with my old one if the battery could have been easily replaced! :loco:

My iPod Classic is dead, and I'm pretty sure it's the battery. I haven't found a local place that does battery replacements, so by the time I pay the shipping charges to have this done elsewhere, I'm looking at $100 or so. And that's assuming it's not some other problem.

I'm torn between trying a new battery, replacing the iPod (about $250), and giving up on Apple in favor of another MP3 player. The third option sounds REALLY painful in terms of learning a new system and transferring my music library, but I'm pretty aggravated with Apple at the moment. I think they fix it so the batteries crap out on purpose so you will upgrade. Bastards! :mad:

Any suggestions?

I'm neither an Apple NOR Windows fanboy, and am no fan of Balmer. I have an HP Pavilion HDX Dragon 20 inch notebook which I LOVE, and have wanted to get OSX on it as a dual boot. While I have also wanted an Apple desktop for a while now, I have absolutely no interest in an Apple iPod iPhone or the other Apple products. The build quality in their products has become significantly decreased in pretty much their entire product line from what I've read, and I really have been hating how increasingly gestapo-ish Apple is with the non removable battery garbage, proprietary control, and law suits they've filed. Steve Jobs needs a serious attitude adjustment and needs to be humbled. All of that has seriously turned me off from buying anything from Apple.

Having said that, as an alternative you may want to consider, though it can be pricey depending on which capacity size you are looking at, I have been interested in getting an Archos 5 Internet Tablet with 500GBs of capacity. The screen is beautiful and is way bigger, it's designed really well, and there's a big community that supports it. You can also get up to a 3 year warranty past the 1 year manufacturers warranty if you buy it from a good 3rd party. The three things I don't like about it is unlike most of their other PVPs this one doesn't have a removable battery for some reason, no 3G, and it doesn't have a capacitive screen, but it seems to work well enough regardless. Youtube works very well as does internet browsing. Video playback is very good as is audio.

I'm neither an Apple NOR Windows fanboy, and am no fan of Balmer. I have an HP Pavilion HDX Dragon 20 inch notebook which I LOVE, and have wanted to get OSX on it as a dual boot. While I have also wanted an Apple desktop for a while now, I have absolutely no interest in an Apple iPod iPhone or the other Apple products. The build quality in their products has become significantly decreased in pretty much their entire product line from what I've read, and I really have been hating how increasingly gestapo-ish Apple is with the non removable battery garbage, proprietary control, and law suits they've filed. Steve Jobs needs a serious attitude adjustment and needs to be humbled. All of that has seriously turned me off from buying anything from Apple.

I'll restate that iPod batteries are replaceable either by yourself or a third party if you're not willing to open one up. I still see nothing on the market that matches the capacity vs. size of an iPod.

I could care less about Apple generally speaking. I don't like their OS or gadgets. I was resistant to iPods at first, but since receiving one as a gift I'm a convert. The same is true for iTunes, which once the sucky default settings are changed, actually has a pretty nice program hidden inside.

Having said that, as an alternative you may want to consider, though it can be pricey depending on which capacity size you are looking at, I have been interested in getting an Archos 5 Internet Tablet with 500GBs of capacity. The screen is beautiful and is way bigger, it's designed really well, and there's a big community that supports it. You can also get up to a 3 year warranty past the 1 year manufacturers warranty if you buy it from a good 3rd party. The three things I don't like about it is unlike most of their other PVPs this one doesn't have a removable battery for some reason, no 3G, and it doesn't have a capacitive screen, but it seems to work well enough regardless. Youtube works very well as does internet browsing. Video playback is very good as is audio.

Another Apple gadget I see absolutely no use for. 500 GB is a nice sized drive, but the size is far less convenient than an iPod. In addition a Net Book from Asus, HP, or Dell has far more functionality for far less money.

They can also keep their iPhones as far as I'm concerned. Your mileage may vary.

Glad it worked out for you anyway LunaTekke

Switching this week from PCs to Apple, Getting my daughter Rachel who is graduating in May an MacBook Pro, and changing this PoS pc to Apple iMac.

My wife's new MacBook Pro just shipped from Shanghai today and she'll be getting it on Tuesday. She's ecstatic.

Her Powerbook from '05 is a POS as the AirPort card barely works any more unless she sits in one specific spot on the couch and even then it doesn't work sometimes. Since it was a pre-Intel Powerbook certain stuff just won't work on it (ie: Google video chat) and she's never been able to watch Youtube or any other types of videos because it was too choppy.

The MBP I ordered her is top of the line so it better be able to play a Youtube video LOL.

[edit] J-Man, forgot to mention, be sure to get the student discount on that MacBook Pro!

I'll restate that iPod batteries are replaceable either by yourself or a third party if you're not willing to open one up. I still see nothing on the market that matches the capacity vs. size of an iPod.

As I mentioned the Archos 5 Internet Tablet has up to 500GBs of capacity. Are there any iPods or iPhones with up to 500GBs of capacity..?

I could care less about Apple generally speaking. I don't like their OS or gadgets. I was resistant to iPods at first, but since receiving one as a gift I'm a convert. The same is true for iTunes, which once the sucky default settings are changed, actually has a pretty nice program hidden inside.

Id I got one for free I may become a fan, but I'd likely want to sell it. Hate iTunes. Hate. I've tried to like it. Maybe it was the settings..

Another Apple gadget I see absolutely no use for. 500 GB is a nice sized drive, but the size is far less convenient than an iPod. In addition a Net Book from Asus, HP, or Dell has far more functionality for far less money.

They can also keep their iPhones as far as I'm concerned. Your mileage may vary.

Glad it worked out for you anyway LunaTekke

It's actually not that much bigger. I hate the concept of netbooks for some reason. It's underwhelming specs are likely one reason. Yea I don't care about iPhones either. At+t, why..

As I mentioned the Archos 5 Internet Tablet has up to 500GBs of capacity. Are there any iPods or iPhones with up to 500GBs of capacity..?

Archos are cool, and 500 GB is huge, but only the 500GB model has any advantage over iPods IMO. In size vs. capacity iPods still have the advantage for all other capacities. A 16GB iPod is half the size of a 16GB Archos. A 160GB iPod weighs half as much as 160GB Archos, and is also substantially smaller.
The iPods also cost about half the price of Archos players.

I was a very happy Zune user but when I switched to a Mac I didnt realise that there is no way of syncing it! So, very reluctantly switched to a iPod Classic. i really like the player but i totally hate itunes!

If Zune ever settle their differences and write a Mac programme I would switch back no question.

I love the idea of the Archos 500 but the size is just not user friendly (my pocket just aint that deep!)

I'd imagine with the Intel Macs you could use Parallels or VirtualBox or something to run the Zune software but haven't tried it myself.

There is potentially good news though. The Microsoft Kin phone that is coming out in May has Zune functionality and there's going to be Mac software for it. It won't have all the Marketplace integration and everything like the PC software. It will just allow you to sync your iTunes to your Zune.

No word yet if the software will work with all Zunes or just the Kin. And it's not really clear if you can manage your collection in the software or if you still need to manage it in iTunes. But at least it's a step in the right direction.

It's actually not that much bigger. I hate the concept of netbooks for some reason. It's underwhelming specs are likely one reason.

The underwhelming specs are the whole point - you get something small and cheap just for travel or sitting on the porch or hanging out in bed when you don't need a souped up system, just wifi and enough storage space to hold an office suite and plenty of music and video. (unless you happened to get an SSD model with 4GB of storage space...) I took mine to Europe, and it was far less of a hassle traveling with an 8" in a mini backpack than a 14"+!

Hell of a lot cheaper to find an open wifi signal or pay a daily $10 fee somewhere than it is to pay the iphone data plans AND cell phone service, too...

The underwhelming specs are the whole point - you get something small and cheap just for travel or sitting on the porch or hanging out in bed when you don't need a souped up system, just wifi and enough storage space to hold an office suite and plenty of music and video. (unless you happened to get an SSD model with 4GB of storage space...) I took mine to Europe, and it was far less of a hassle traveling with an 8" in a mini backpack than a 14"+!

Hell of a lot cheaper to find an open wifi signal or pay a daily $10 fee somewhere than it is to pay the iphone data plans AND cell phone service, too...

I agree. Even if you have a 2GB or 4GB model they accept SD cards which are tiny, but vastly increase your storage size.