May 19, 2001
Visit site
I listen to music from most to least as follows:
Car - by far the most
Work (streaming)
Home computer
Home stereo
Portable (walking, etc)

The MP3 player, and more specifically the iPod 5G 30gig I just received has really changed how I listen to music and what I listen to.

Several years ago, prior to MP3 CD readability in the car, I had to carry multiple CD's with maybe up to 16 tracks on a CD (we won't talk about the old days of cassettes and 8-tracks). Then with the MP3 CD's, almost 10 hours of music. With either of these choices though, I was still selectively choosing my "favorites", which in turn wasn't enabling me to listen to new music. With Opeth as my favorite band, that alone was limiting the number of songs that I carried with me.

My first MP3 player that actually held a decent amount of tunes was the Zen Micro - about 750 songs. But, I never really used it in the car, so I had the same 120 songs MP3 CD in the car. Then comes the iPod.

I now have 4,800 songs I play randomly. I purchased a special cable for my car stereo, and a line-out adapter to bypass the headphone jack from the iPod. The iPod sounds phenominal in the car. But what has really changed is what I lsten to. With nothing to do in the car but drive and listen, I can concentrate pretty well on the music. All along I've had certain bands on my computer or on CD, but I would still play my favorites. Now, I'm really listening to the likes of Dan Swano, Thyrfing, Agalloch, just to name a few.

The ability to carry a library of songs in your pocket, whereever you go, for me takes away selective lsitening and lets me hear whatever the next song is. And with 4,800 tunes, it could be almost anything. Someday I'll have to upgrade the player to a bigger drive to carry ALL of my music, but for now, my ears have been opened up to songs I've had under my nose all this time.

Personally my thing is mp3CD players. I'm an Ipod hater, and a big fan of CDs in general. If they design a discman that does DVD audio i'll be the first to jump on it. 4.7Gb on a disc, i could carry around my small case of 24 discs and my entire collection.

What I do is I choose a few discs as my "playlist" for the day and take those with me. This is interesting as even if I change my mind later on, I am stuck with these and must listen to them. I find that it forces me to take a deeper listen to whatever I've got with me.

I love my iPod to death. I have the 20 gig version, but would really like to purchase the 60 gig one at some point. Right now my music collection is at around 57 gigs so if I bought one right now I could fit every song I have on it which would be awesome. The shuffle feature is also really nice, just letting it pick songs from your entire collection (or in my case a good portion of it) is great for when you can't really decide or don't care what you listen to.

That's one reason why I wouldn't buy one... At the moment I have 10,000 +- songs and so I'd have to buy the $500? or $600 one to accommodate not even all of them. that, and my disdain for Apple. sorries. :Spin:

Kenneth R. said:
If they design a discman that does DVD audio i'll be the first to jump on it.

I'm pretty sure there is one, I remember reading about it somewhere last year. Can't remember who made it but I can't imagine it being that popular right now.

I hate ipods and the like, I'm all about CD's and uncompressed audio. Then again I have over 600 cds so...

If I were to buy an iPod/mp3 player I'd get a Cowon iAudio X5. They play Flac files. http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/x5/

I love my ipod nano. But I would recommend getting another basic mp3 player. The reason for this is because I-tunes can tell if you are illegaly downloading music, the Creative Zen or Nomad (for example) can't.

shark22 said:
The reason for this is because I-tunes can tell if you are illegaly downloading music, the Creative Zen or Nomad (for example) can't.

Um what? I seriously doubt that it reports that kind of info. How is it to know if you own a CD or rip an album on another computer? Or even another legal filesharing service?

You don't even need iTunes to upload stuff to your iPod anyways.

Kenneth R. said:
... I'm an Ipod hater....

I was, but for no particular reason other than my personal feelings about a marketing machine and its effect on people, driving them to impulse buy without research.

I won my iPod, not purchased it. But now that I do have one, and with the accessories I purchased for it, I feel it blows my Zen Micro away (I gave the Zen to my daughter). I personally find iTunes easy to maneuver, and again, with my particular setup in the car, it's almost perfect.

I dont like mp3 players. I like buying cds, I like listening to cds, and mp3 players kind of ruin that whole idea for me. its probably more psychological than anything...

and I like that my music taste is redundant. Im happy with it. and I dont like my playlists on shuffle.

:Spin:

Most people I know who say they refuse to buy an iPod are the same way. I don't get it. I've never owned any Apple products before my iPod and never had any desire whatsoever to get a Mac or any of the other silly products that Apple makes, but that doesn't mean I am somehow going to completely avoid buying anything they ever produce. The iPod is by far the best mp3 player I've seen. It's well designed, sturdy, small, and most importantly it has a great interface (which other manufacters are constantly trying to rip off without much success). Really the only downside to them is that the battery life is not as good as some of the competitors (but more than long enough for my purposes, I've never had it run out) and that they are pricey. Creative's players are much cheaper but they also handle like cheap rubbish. You get what you pay for.

marin1133 said:
I dont like mp3 players. I like buying cds, I like listening to cds, and mp3 players kind of ruin that whole idea for me. its probably more psychological than anything...

What does one have to do with the other? I have well over 450 CDs. I buy like 10 CDs a month. Just because you own an mp3 player doesn't mean you have to start pirating all your music or use digital music downloading services or something (I would personally *never* pay just to download a file, I want to own the disc with a booklet).

I'd buy an Apple computer long before I would an iPod.
OS X is an awesome operating system, much better than Windows in my opinion.

Yeah but what's the point if you can't run anything on it. The software market for OS X is tiny compared to the one for win32 platforms. Especially if you are into videogames or something, only a handful of games get ported to the Mac.

CAIRATH said:
What does one have to do with the other? I have well over 450 CDs. I buy like 10 CDs a month. Just because you own an mp3 player doesn't mean you have to start pirating all your music or use digital music downloading services or something (I would personally *never* pay just to download a file, I want to own the disc with a booklet).
ditto, + about 500cds :lol:

i need to stop spending money. :erk:
my issue with IPod is the file format and capacity vs price. battery life is also a problem as I listen to music 24/7.

Don Corleone said:
i can only listen to albums in my car...still. :(

Im the same. I dont like having an mp3 player as my primary musical player. I love to pop the cd into the car's headunit and listen to that cd as a whole. When im done with that cd, I put in another according to what I want to listen to.

I have an mp3 player, but I only use it when im at some place alone for a while, or when im on vacation or whatnot. I would rather just throw in the actual cd that I bought instead of some ripped mp3.

CAIRATH said:
marin1133 said:

I dont think thats the point. I love holding onto the cd just like marin does. Its psychological, but I love my cds. I just like looking at the album art/logo before I listen to the music.