MP3 & Media Players

Caecius

Doomed Traveler
Sep 30, 2007
Colorado
I'm recently in the market for an MP3/Media player since I accidentally left mine in my pocket and washed my pants. I was wondering what devices people have and their opinions on what I should purchase.

I've only looked at the Apple iPod touch and the Zune HD players. After reading some reviews and watching some videos, I seem to be leaning towards the Zune HD. The HD radio is a big plus for me because of the convenience of not having to sync new podcasts or music as often.

Another factor in my purchase is the ability to listen to music from Rhapsody. I have a monthly subscription to Rhapsody and transfer music from their large database of artists for $15 dollars a month. Is the iPod touch or Zune HD capable with this function or provide a similar service?

What does everyone use and think is the best?

I feel that dropping a couple hundred bucks on a device that is unlikely to remain functional for more than a year is a waste, so I bought a small generic flash player (4 gigs). The interface is hilariously bad (really, it's unbelievably hard to use), but it holds plenty and isn't likely to break. For a tenth of the price of an ipod, it's a good deal. Just a thought.

I feel that dropping a couple hundred bucks on a device that is unlikely to remain functional for more than a year is a waste, so I bought a small generic flash player (4 gigs). The interface is hilariously bad (really, it's unbelievably hard to use), but it holds plenty and isn't likely to break. For a tenth of the price of an ipod, it's a good deal. Just a thought.

This is what I have been doing and may continue to do if I don't feel like it is worth it.

my iPod Nano 3rd gen 8gig hasnt failed me yet.

Every single person I know, myself included, has been completely satisfied with their iPods. None of them have crapped out, they've taken many terrible falls with no effect (outside of looks). My g/f's brother lays carpet, and he's beaten the fuck out of his for almost 2 years now and it's like new, if you ignore the scratches.

Ive had a 4gb ipod nano for years... it's taken countless amounts of abuse from being dropped and stepped on to being submerged in water.

I bought a philips 8gb mp3/media player and the thing was nothing but complete fucking garbage. I had to reformat it about once a month, it ripped everything in 64 or 128 kbps no matter what... which causes compression artifacts on music with loud recording and is just bad quality in general... It has a built in equalizer but it doesnt even work!! :erk:

I currently have a refurbished big bulky 80gb ipod... which works fine, but it's just too big.

I've got a 16GB Sony player that I bought after I dropped my highly sexual Zune 120 onto the lat machine in the gym and broke the hard drive in it.

The sony is obviously faster as it's a flash memory device. I think the sound quality was better with the zune, but that depends on the earphones you use as well.

When 128GB iPod touch's are about £200 I'll probably get one.