iPod or Zune? I don't want either.

viewerfromnihil

Vein-Marbled Tower
May 29, 2008
Berlin, Germany
My beloved 80 GB iPod finally died on me after 3 years of abuse. Now I'm caught with a bit of a problem... I hate the new iPods and Zunes also have their flaws.

So, I've been on a search for a new MP3 player and it's not going too well so I ask of your help. Do you guys know of any +60 GB mp3 players that aren't Apple, Microsoft, or one those wretched touch screens? I'm having a bit of trouble with finding this.

I don't know if you knew this but apple still sell's the Ipod Classic. They're basically just like the old ipods. no touch screen, just higher storage capacity(160gb).

NO, jesus christ. Fuck that shit. Get a Creative Zen. It has way more options than an iPod and also gives you a memory card slot. Only main drawback is you don't get the slick little clickwheel.

NO, jesus christ. Fuck that shit. Get a Creative Zen. It has way more options than an iPod and also gives you a memory card slot. Only main drawback is you don't get the slick little clickwheel.

I have a few questions about this one...

-Is it less responsive when it gets close to filling up like an iPod?

-Is it reliable?

-Is there a "fast-scroll"? or anything like it? Clicking through 200 artists to get to Z isn't all that fun.

-Can it carry FLAC files?

Thanks btw.

creative was the best but I dont think they make them anymore

no
yes
click it and choose your letter
yes any audio

creative was the best but I dont think they make them anymore

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Zen-Video-Player-Black/dp/B002BDTLWC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259900562&sr=8-2[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Portable-Media-Player-Black/dp/B0012YPMOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259900562&sr=8-1[/ame]

I have a few questions about this one...

-Is it less responsive when it gets close to filling up like an iPod?

-Is it reliable?

-Is there a "fast-scroll"? or anything like it? Clicking through 200 artists to get to Z isn't all that fun.

-Can it carry FLAC files?

Thanks btw.

1) Nope.

2) Honestly mine seems to freeze up periodically when I add a ton of music (maybe once every two months or so), and it's a pain in the ass to wait for the battery to drain before it'll reboot itself. I haven't seen any way to reset it in the software either. That said, I had my previous player - an iPod - freeze up periodically too. Not the biggest of my concerns.

3) Like rms said, there's the letter shortcut, but you can also hold the up/down buttons down to scroll faster, and you can hit up at the top of the list to jump to the bottom of the list.

4) Not sure. I recently tried some .m4a files on it that I'd ripped and they didn't work, which was a little irritating, but the documentation says m4a is supported, so maybe I ripped them wrong. I suspect rms is lying about "any audio" being supported, because online it lists "MP3, WMA, AAC4 (.m4A), WAV (ADPCM), Audible 2,3,4" as the supported formats.

So yeah, good questions to ask. :lol: I still like it better than my last iPod though.

Fuck I have an 80gb iPod, it better not die on me!

He had his for three years. That's quite a lifespan for something like that, imo.

I have a 4gb nano that will be celebrating its 6th Christmas this year.

I really fear change when it comes to mp3 players... after an awful experience with a philips brand. I bought a fairly cheap 80gb ipod refurb from ebay and it works perfectly fine. (despite being a bit big and bulky)

He had his for three years. That's quite a lifespan for something like that, imo.

I have a 4gb nano that will be celebrating its 6th Christmas this year.

I really fear change when it comes to mp3 players... after an awful experience with a philips brand. I bought a fairly cheap 80gb ipod refurb from ebay and it works perfectly fine. (despite being a bit big and bulky)

I've had mine for 2, but if it lasts nearly as long as yours I'll be quite content.

My 2gig iPod nano (1st or 2nd gen I think) only lasted about 2 years, around then the battery only lasted for about 30 minutes.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Zen-...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259900562&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Port...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259900562&sr=8-1

1) Nope.

2) Honestly mine seems to freeze up periodically when I add a ton of music (maybe once every two months or so), and it's a pain in the ass to wait for the battery to drain before it'll reboot itself. I haven't seen any way to reset it in the software either. That said, I had my previous player - an iPod - freeze up periodically too. Not the biggest of my concerns.

3) Like rms said, there's the letter shortcut, but you can also hold the up/down buttons down to scroll faster, and you can hit up at the top of the list to jump to the bottom of the list.

4) Not sure. I recently tried some .m4a files on it that I'd ripped and they didn't work, which was a little irritating, but the documentation says m4a is supported, so maybe I ripped them wrong. I suspect rms is lying about "any audio" being supported, because online it lists "MP3, WMA, AAC4 (.m4A), WAV (ADPCM), Audible 2,3,4" as the supported formats.

So yeah, good questions to ask. :lol: I still like it better than my last iPod though.

he said at least 60gb