I was making a new MP3 CD for my car with new songs...

I was just thinking...

Is there any need to listen to a band once you know the songs by heart and all the lyrics? I mean, if you can play each guitar part, recite the lyrics in your head then why keep listening? Seems kinda the same as reading a book you've read 100 times.

Is there any need to listen to a band once you know the songs by heart and all the lyrics?

The bands i regularly listen to are different to my favourite bands, as my last.fm will show. id say its partly because i know all opeth songs back to front but also because there is so much more music i want to familiarise myself with.

hibernal_dream said:
I was just thinking...

Is there any need to listen to a band once you know the songs by heart and all the lyrics? I mean, if you can play each guitar part, recite the lyrics in your head then why keep listening? Seems kinda the same as reading a book you've read 100 times.

Need? No. But since when was music about need?

I get frustrated with Opeth these days in listening terms. After such a while of listening to it constantly you start to see faults. And to be honest if not listening to it alot stops me from disliking it more and more then im happy with not doing so. But i still enjoy talking about the band, reading peoples opinions about them and other bands that i could get into due to what different people listen too.

I agree ^. I'm off Opeth at the moment because overplaying any CD can kill it for me forever. I do like this forum for for more general music stuff and finding out about other bands to hoover up, plus the usual derailing of threads.

Do you know what ? The play count option on an iPod is sometimes scary. Let me explain why.

Hope leaves - 271
black rose immortal - 152
the night and the silent water - 140
nectar - 127
the dreapery falls - 117
by the pain I see in others - 98

I'll stop there... just to say : I completely agree with you Metalman, Opeth isn't boring :). (and yup, I got morningrise first)

Pethical said:
i dont like listening to opeth songs independent of their albums.
i enjoy it better when i hear the context of the album its on

It's the same with me... I most often listen to the albums, one at the time, chronologically...
(But I have them all with me all the time in my Pod... :saint: )

NineFeetUnderground said:
AHEM. i could argue that i "need" music everyday. i guess i cant quite prove it though, but i definitely dont just put on an album when ive run out of things to do that day.

See? It's much easier to understand you when you speak more than two syllables. But it's a good thing that you didn't actually argue that you 'need' music, since that would go absolutely nowhere. I therefore declare myself the winner in advance.