I won a 5G video iPod - now I can carry all my Opeth and then some

iPods are awful. Expensive, poor sound, shitty battery life, badly designed...

I have a Creative Zen Touch 40gb mp3 player. It's not perfect, but it's damn close. One of the best things I ever bought. Cost me £200, which is actually quite good considering its storage space and the fact that I've had it 6 months. I have 12gb free now, dunno what I'm gonna do when I fill it...

^ Really? So you can't put your own mp3s on? I never knew that. How gay. Why are they so popular then? Stupid kids.

Indeed. America is full of stupid gay kids who go in the store and say, "Look at that pink ipod, I'TS SO CUUUTE!" Apple preys on these types.

Yeh, I'd buy one of those, but I can't be arsed with the whole forking out 450 bucks thing. That's about 300 for you american fools, and 2250kr for you swedish fucks. I need my money for my trip :yell: ..

Meh.. I might buy one tomorrow..

The iPod is a black 30gb version with The Discovery Channel logo on back.

It's free, and I'm going to fill it with my music. I shelled out a few bucks for a case, that's it. There is software to make the iPod usable with windows explorer, but I'll live with transferring my files with the free iTunes software. Whoever above stated you can only buy songs from iTunes to fill the iPod is incorrect. It's just that you need to use the iTunes interface to sync your music collection between the computer and the iPod.

I've always considered iPod like Bose - great marketing for a product inferior to others. But, now that I have my own, I'll use it and decide for myself.

Lietuvis said:
I have a 60 GB iPod Video in black. :headbang:

I have around 40 GB of music and tons of videos, so it makes sense for me to have one. Plus, I travel a hella lot.

SInce I haven't set mine up yet (when I get home I will), do you like yours? Are you happy with the sound quality?

Also, do you use iTunes 6?

***BIG RUMOUR***

i heard from a source of mine, that iPods were made with a deliberately faulty battery, which made them unusable after around 12-18 months. And seeing as you can't remove the battery like you can with the Sony NWHD5, the whole things screwed. And as it's 12-18 months old the warranty's probably gone too. Damn Apple.

Braighs said:
The thing with apple is - you can only fill the ipod with songs from itunes.
That's so not metal....and just as expensive....and limiting....and corporate bullshit.

Wrong. 99% of the music that was on my iPod was mp3s, not ripped through iTunes.

The sound quality on iPods is decent. Maybe not as good as a professional mixing board in an arena, or a computer meant for sound recording, but it's decent for something that fit in your pocket.

The only downside about them is that the batteries fucking suck. I got one in the first week of November 04. I had to RMA it by March 05, but that was due to my own shit (I threw it against the wall out of anger due to a fight with a friend and the HD broke), so they sent me a "new" one.

The battery life on this was fine, up until a couple weeks ago. It started being a complete faggot and the battery meter would be on almost full, but it'd power down, saying "The battery on this has run out. Please connect iPod to power source." or whatever. I took it apart in a restaurant this evening, and broke one of the pins on the main board. So, it's shot. And the warranty ran out in November.

If I get a new one, I can't decide whether to go for the iPod video, or something like the Zen Touch or whatever.

biggsy said:
***BIG RUMOUR***

i heard from a source of mine, that iPods were made with a deliberately faulty battery, which made them unusable after around 12-18 months. And seeing as you can't remove the battery like you can with the Sony NWHD5, the whole things screwed. And as it's 12-18 months old the warranty's probably gone too. Damn Apple.

lol your 'source' is an idiot. that only happens to a small # of people, especially those who let their mp3 player battery totally drain before recharging. i think there are only 500-700 full discharge/charge cycles in a battery. however, if you do partial charges (i.e. before the battery totally drains), it is much much more. this is something that affects ALL mp3 players, but anti-apple zealots tend to be the most vocal.

http://www.ipodbattery.com/

some people in this thread are just idiots...if you don't know anything about technology, don't fuckin post. you can load any mp3/wav/alac/aac files on the ipod, and you don't have to use itunes, there are LOADS of 3rd party ipod manager programs out there. you only need itunes if you're planning on buying music online.

Braighs said:
I have a Zen Micro 5 gig.
I was dissapointed with the space.
It said it would hold 2,500, but I can only fit 703 tracks.
I guess those long songs add up.

Yeah a dense collection of 10 min+ songs compared to simple <3min pop songs is a bit of a diff.

Planned obscelesence you knobcheese.

After downloading 4,791 songs, my first test was listening to my favorite song, Ghost of Perdition.

Nice sound, lots of storage - I think the Zen Micro will be getting a rest for now. I'll carry 4,791 songs over 726 songs on the Zen.