Anyone Ditched their iPod for Another MP3 Player?

LunaTEKKE

Madness Reigns
Mar 23, 2006
My iPod Classic is dead, and I'm pretty sure it's the battery. I haven't found a local place that does battery replacements, so by the time I pay the shipping charges to have this done elsewhere, I'm looking at $100 or so. And that's assuming it's not some other problem.

I'm torn between trying a new battery, replacing the iPod (about $250), and giving up on Apple in favor of another MP3 player. The third option sounds REALLY painful in terms of learning a new system and transferring my music library, but I'm pretty aggravated with Apple at the moment. I think they fix it so the batteries crap out on purpose so you will upgrade. Bastards! :mad:

Any suggestions?

It's not hard to transfer with other brands of MP3 players. Basically, you can just use it like a flash drive; you move the files from the folder on your computer to the folder on your MP3 player.

I'll never go to Apple for my MP3 player needs. I hate iTunes, and I dislike the company in general.

I love my iPod, it took me years of using other MP3 players, and having major software issues with them, to finally say okay ipod time, and I have no porblem at all, i have a 16G iPod touch and it is awesome, no problems.

I have a couple of other MP3 players I use as backups, but nothing on the market could replace my iPod. Frankly any device that uses rechargable batteries is going to need a new one eventually, so that's not a problem exclusive to Apple. Spending $100 to get my iPod running like new is a better value than the same amount spent on a lesser player... to me. Your mileage may vary.
I'd suggest ifixipodsfast for reasonable battery and replacement service prices. If it's not your battery they'll do diagnostic testing for $6.
If you or someone you know is confident enough to try a battery replacement at home they have tutorial videos to show you how it's done, and it's really not that hard.

As for your music library, transfering to another player (should you choose that route) isn't a problem IF you ripped your CD's to MP3 format and didn't buy from the iTunes Store. The default on iTunes' software is to rip to AAC / m4a format, and iTunes downloads in m4a and m4p formats. None of these were compatable with any of the typical MP3 players I know of the last time I looked at them. At that time all other brands used MP3 and wma, although that may have changed recently.

Thanks to everyone for the opinions!

No apple stores in the area?

Actually, I took the iPod into an Apple store today, but they said they couldn't replace the battery there. Seemed pretty ridiculous to me that they aren't willing to support their own products.

I'd suggest ifixipodsfast for reasonable battery and replacement service prices. If it's not your battery they'll do diagnostic testing for $6.
If you or someone you know is confident enough to try a battery replacement at home they have tutorial videos to show you how it's done, and it's really not that hard.

As for your music library, transfering to another player (should you choose that route) isn't a problem IF you ripped your CD's to MP3 format and didn't buy from the iTunes Store.

Thanks for the links. I'm afraid to try the battery replacement myself, as I'm pretty much a moron with anything mechanical. I'd end up having to sell the pieces for scrap! :lol: Also thanks for the heads up on songs purchased from iTunes. My library is probably about 15% purchased from iTunes, so that's something else to factor into the equation.

It's not hard to transfer with other brands of MP3 players. Basically, you can just use it like a flash drive; you move the files from the folder on your computer to the folder on your MP3 player.

I'll never go to Apple for my MP3 player needs. I hate iTunes, and I dislike the company in general.

Most other audio programs, like Winamp and Foobar, have great iPod support. I haven't used iTunes in years.

I didn't know iTunes ripped by default into aac and mp4 until recently, I just figured it used mp3. I switched the default over, but is there any cheap or free conversion app out there that will convert the aac's to mp3's?

I have a small Phillips MP3 player that I've used for several years now. With that said, I've never had any problems with it. Frankly, I don't want to use an MP3 player that I have to use their "company" specific software for. I simply want to treat MP3s as MP3s.

~Brian~

Don;t have an Ipod or player...I do use Media Monkey and it has M4a support....that and it's a whole lot better than ITunes.

I am a proud Zune owner...gave it a try a couple years back when someone broke into my car to steal my iPod, and haven't looked back since. The software is pretty nice (though I only really use it for podcasts and loading up the device) but I like the interface much better than the iPod. I haven't tried it yet, but the Zune HD looks quite awesome.

I am a proud Zune owner...gave it a try a couple years back when someone broke into my car to steal my iPod, and haven't looked back since. The software is pretty nice (though I only really use it for podcasts and loading up the device) but I like the interface much better than the iPod. I haven't tried it yet, but the Zune HD looks quite awesome.

My buddy Krusty has a Zune and really likes it... I'm thinking of getting one eventually myself.

Not me. In fact, I just got another iPod classic for my birthday and I love it. The old one died after 6 years. I tried the Zune once, but didn't like it much. Then again, I never owned one, so can't tell really.

The Zune HD is pretty nice looking but I'm leaning toward an iPod Touch just because there's so many more apps available.