Inexpensive MP3 Player

Genius Gone Insane

http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
www. ̄\(°_o)
I've got an extended vacation coming up and I'm thinking of abandoning the ole CD player in favor of an mp3 player. Do you have any recommendations? I had a very bad experience with Itunes and refuse to put that shit on my computer. Is there an mp3 player that I can drag and drop mp3s straight into without having to set up Itunes? Oh, and it has to be battery operated. No laptops on vacation.

I've got an extended vacation coming up and I'm thinking of abandoning the ole CD player in favor of an mp3 player. Do you have any recommendations? I had a very bad experience with Itunes and refuse to put that shit on my computer. Is there an mp3 player that I can drag and drop mp3s straight into without having to set up Itunes? Oh, and it has to be battery operated. No laptops on vacation.

I also hate iTunes. However, it has a feature where you can drag and drop. It is called "manually manage music and videos." It works fantastic for my iPhone and iPod Mini (and I hate Apple, I am not a fanboy).

I then use a line out cable, and into a cmoyBB ( www.cmoybb.com - just built one myself this week), and into my ATH-M50s. Pure audio bliss (well, as much as you can get on the road).

Just get any other mp3 player other than Apple, and you won't need to use itunes if you don't like it. I can't remember its name, but there's also an application that lets you drag 'n drop files into iPods as well so itunes is definitely not mandatory.

You can get chargers for most mp3 players nowadays that you just plug in to an outlet so you won't need to take a laptop with you. Even portable chargers exist. I'd imagine there still might be some cheap mp3 players that use batteries if you really need one powered with them.

ttrentt, how much does amping the M50's help in the sound?

Since I use my iPhone, I think it is a bigger increase in sound quality by bypass the internal headphone amp. I built the cmoyBB for a gadget coolness feature. (I bypassed the bass boost completely on the unit also). Sure the M50 sound better than earbuds or something like that, but they did sound fine with the iphone itself.

With an amp I would say power, volume and clarity are all enhanced. Building the cmoy cost about $40, (I and I love projects like that), so I certainly would do it again. I am actually going to build another one with a bass boost tailered more for my AKG ear buds.

OH and to the OP, I would recommend you at least find a unit that does have a line out -- incase you ever did want to power a nice set of headphones. :) To can tailor the cmoy to drive anywhere from 30-600 ohm headphones.

I use a program called Touchcopy for my ipod touch. Lets you actually use your ipod touch the way its meant to be used ... external drive, lets you drag and drop files and mp3s, lets you copy from ipod to pc and back, one touch full backup ... its an awesome little program and its cheap

http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/index.php?gclid=CPyPh8SRx6kCFcPd4AodJCHROw

just in case you go the ipod route ... I love my ipod touch

I had several Sansa SanDisk mp3 players and they all stopped working someday. The manufacture quality is utter shit.. Plus the software crashed all the time (the OS of the mp3 player). Got an iPod (and later iPhone), never looked back.

I had several Sansa SanDisk mp3 players and they all stopped working someday. The manufacture quality is utter shit.. Plus the software crashed all the time (the OS of the mp3 player). Got an iPod (and later iPhone), never looked back.

Yeah I bought a sansa too and it stopped working after a couple of months :S...just bought a sony walkman last week and it seems pretty good for the price