Which MP3 player is top dog?

Hanso

Apr 24, 2001
Geelong
Visit site
I want to buy a mp3 player but have no idea which is the best buy so of course I am leaning towards an i-pod as it has a shitload of assecories. The only problem i have heard about i-pods is that with the earlier players the battery wouldn't fully recharge after about a year but I am guessing that problem would have been fixed by now.I am wanting to use the mps player at work so I want alot of storage I know Iriver and Creative are also mean't to be good brands. Any help would be appreciated !

:)

That whole battery thing was blown out of proportion. Yes, it happens, but it happens to all rechargable batteries. Sometimes people get a dud one, but most are OK.

As far as which player to get though, I think most of the people who've got one recently (i.e. Spiff and Dreamy) have gone with the iRiver and haven't regretted. It's probably what I would get too, if I could afford one.

It doesn't have as many accessories, but it doesn't need them, and the accessories you can get for it are a damn side cheaper.

What storage does the iriver players have(biggest I have seen is 256mb) and how much are they? I just looked at the gen4 i-pod and it's very tempting!! There are a few of them on ebay

The iRivers piss all over the iPods. Accessories are fine as long as the things you actually want are being sold, but don't be pulled in by the marketing. The iRiver comes with a fully functional LCD remote and proper leather case (you won't get those with a pod, and they don't even make a fully functional LCD remote for it) so theres not much else you would need for it. Third party cases are now available, one through Vaja cases and soon one through iSkin too (they are the folks that make those little rubber cases for the pods).

The iRiver is firmware upgradeable, although the latest version has been delayed somewhat. That said it does everything you could possibly want it to straight out of the box. It has a good quality FM radio, built in microphone and a seperate mic included, line in/out - as this player is just a hard drive and doesn't require software it means you can hook straight up to a stereo or tape deck and direct encode from there, no need for a PC at all. Battery life is a quoted 16 hours as opposed to the quoted 8hrs from an iPod. I haven't tested my battery to see exactly what I get, but it would appear that most users get 12-16. Most iPodders get about 3-7.

The only minus is that the Database facility is sluggish and doesn't read more than 52 characters, however that is being fixed in the next firmware upgrade and to be honest I've never actually wanted to use the database cos the file tree system works fine for me.

Even if all the features don't sell you on the iRiver, the single most important fact is that the sound quality on the iRiver is MUCH better than the iPod - and I am talking personal experience here, not just what I've read online. The iPod sounds really weak, even with a decent set of phones. Oh, and on that point make sure you do invest in some good ones regardless of which machine you get. I use the Sony EX70 in ear buds, but there are loads of good ones out there that will improve your listening experience, just do a little research first. :)

HTH!

I haven't listened to an ipod much, but from what i've heard the sound wasn't bad by any means... But I'm use to a fairly shoddy discman, so everything seems a step up!

I got my 40gb iRiver at JB Hi-Fi. They gave me $50 off, then conned me into getting the $100 5-year warranty. It still ended up cheaper than the 40gb iPod though. :)