MP3 Player (Need to buy one, need recommendations)

windows media player + me = postal. It's f'n sad when WMP won't even burn a song to a CD. POS. I'm an official Mac nerd now, as of about 4 months ago.

ipod > all

I don't have an iphone, I have a blackberry, but I agree that the Treo was a complete turd. I too went through 4 of them then said screw it, went to Verizon and demanded a blackberry. Had to pay full retail for it in the middle of a contract and haven't regretted it. The software is rock-solid.

Oh, between Ann and I we have 4 iPods - 80gb 5g, 60gb 4g, 4gb Nano, and a Shuffle. Apple's tech support is top notch too. I've had to repair the iPods a couple times - but I abuse them, leave them in hot cars all the time, 2 different car kits, home stereo stuff, etc.

Funny...my hubby has the 'big' mp3 player we use a lot - his was a Dell that worked for about three years, then died, but Dell replaced it with a refurbished one free. That worked for about a year and then it died, so we took the Apple plunge and went for the big kahuna - the 160gb iPod (Best Buy has tons of them). At the same time I had a little Creative Zen Micro 8gb model which got very infrequent use and was never dropped or anything like that - but it too freaked out - it didn't really die, but the battery would flip out. I also had a real problem with the Creative software - when I got a new PC and loaded the software it loaded fine but would never recognize that the mp3 player itself was actually connected! I threw my hands up and went for the iPod too - the little 8gb version again, and I've only had it going for a week but so far I love it. As of right now I hold the 8gb Nano far above the Zen Micro. Given the problems I had with the Zen I don't think I'd ever go for a Zune!

Cheerios!

If you were having battery problems that would be the whole cause the other issues that you were seeing, including connectivity problems. No products are without problematic units, I know some people that have the same Zen VM like mine have had issues with theirs, mine has been rock solid. There are ipods with problems too, just have to make sure if your having problems with something to get it replaced right away.

I love that:

1. I don't need special accessories to make my Zen work.
2. I don't need plugins or features to make it functional.
3. I don't need to ever call tech support or worry about scratches, temperature, drops or battery life.
4. No compatibility issues.
5. Oh yeah, and I paid less than all the iPod fans.

I will preface this post by saying I am not an Apple fanboy. In fact, I can't stand Apple fanboys, but in the same manner I don't like people who oppose a product simply due to who it's made by (ie: Apple vs Microsoft). The iPod is the only Apple product I own but I'm quite happy with it.

1. I don't need special accessories to make my Zen work.

What special accessories does the iPod need? The only thing I can really think of is needing an adapter to plug it into the wall which I can understand to a point but there's something to be said for a minimalistic design too. Truth be told, the most common place to plug it in is the computer so I don't see the huge issue here.

2. I don't need plugins or features to make it functional.

Yeah, who needs features? :Smug: I'm not sure what plugins you're referring to.

3. I don't need to ever call tech support or worry about scratches, temperature, drops or battery life.

Who else would you call if something went wrong on your device? I'm fairly certain an iPod isn't more prone to being dropped than other handheld devices though I admit I haven't done a comprehensive study on it.

4. No compatibility issues.

Compatibility issues are more of a driver issue than anything but I will admit they can be annoying in certain cases. If you're referring to the iPod using a non-standard storage mechanism, I will hand you that since it does get annoying but it isn't too big of a deal.

5. Oh yeah, and I paid less than all the iPod fans.

I won't touch price point here because everyone knows Apple products are overpriced :p

This isn't meant as a personal jab or anything, I just think the points you listed are either incorrest or unqualified.

I thought SOMEONE had to have had an Archos on here:)
Hell yeah, I've had an Archos Jukebox Recorder for several years now...originally came as a 20GB, but I've since swapped out the HD with a 60GB. I love it...been using the Rockbox alternate firmware since the beginning...it's nice having an open-source community behind your product :) Hmz, I see they now encompass other brands like Apple, iRiver, Cowon, SanDisk, etc...nice.

I will preface this post by saying I am not an Apple fanboy. In fact, I can't stand Apple fanboys, but in the same manner I don't like people who oppose a product simply due to who it's made by (ie: Apple vs Microsoft). The iPod is the only Apple product I own but I'm quite happy with it.

What special accessories does the iPod need? The only thing I can really think of is needing an adapter to plug it into the wall which I can understand to a point but there's something to be said for a minimalistic design too. Truth be told, the most common place to plug it in is the computer so I don't see the huge issue here.

Yeah, who needs features? :Smug: I'm not sure what plugins you're referring to.

Who else would you call if something went wrong on your device? I'm fairly certain an iPod isn't more prone to being dropped than other handheld devices though I admit I haven't done a comprehensive study on it.

Compatibility issues are more of a driver issue than anything but I will admit they can be annoying in certain cases. If you're referring to the iPod using a non-standard storage mechanism, I will hand you that since it does get annoying but it isn't too big of a deal.

I won't touch price point here because everyone knows Apple products are overpriced :p

This isn't meant as a personal jab or anything, I just think the points you listed are either incorrest or unqualified.
Ok let's play then.

1. My distaste for iPod does not stem from my hatred of Apple & Microsoft, though I do hate both equally. Actually, I hate iPods because they're so hyped up and well-loved despite them being lower quality devices at higher cost with more risk of potential problems. I guess you can say I'm annoyed that people are so gullible.

So, special accessories. How about iTunes? You have to use it with iPods. You might as well buy a scratch case too because the screen and unit will get torn to shit if you don't. Oh, but you know of some workarounds for not needing iTunes. Cool. That's better. But it's still extra stuff you need that you would not need with another player. Same story with 'hacking it' to allow it to play certain filetypes.

2. By plugins, see above mentioned "workarounds" and by features, see above mentioned "hacks".

3. Why should I have to call anyone at all? I expect my device to work as promised when I purchase it. Suffice to say, good tech support is nice to have. Too bad Apple will in most cases recommend that you buy another unit. They're practically disposable.

4. Yes, exactly.

5. Haha, I thought no one would contest the overprice issue.

Ok let's play then.

So, special accessories. How about iTunes? You have to use it with iPods. You might as well buy a scratch case too because the screen and unit will get torn to shit if you don't. Oh, but you know of some workarounds for not needing iTunes. Cool. That's better. But it's still extra stuff you need that you would not need with another player. Same story with 'hacking it' to allow it to play certain filetypes.

just today i found a program called xplay, it apparently costs money, but ill probably find a pirated version somewhere. it doesnt lag, and completely shits on itunes. itunes on pc may be the worst program ive ever used

they have a 15 day trial though, that should be plenty of time to get all my music to my ipod, maybe then i can just use itunes for cds as i get them, that shouldnt be too hard.

That's the point though dude. If you buy a Zen or Zune even or Archos or whatnot, you don't have to go through all that trouble.

yea sometimes i wish i would have bought something different, but i gotta deal with what i got for now.

1. My distaste for iPod does not stem from my hatred of Apple & Microsoft, though I do hate both equally. Actually, I hate iPods because they're so hyped up and well-loved despite them being lower quality devices at higher cost with more risk of potential problems. I guess you can say I'm annoyed that people are so gullible.

I didn't say that was your reasoning, I was establishing my stance as not being biased towards any particular camp. Just because an item is hyped (and yes, it is over-hyped but that really has no meaning to this discussion).

I haven't had any issues with mine getting scratched. I keep it in a case now because for awhile I had to keep it in the same pocket as my keys, and it really isn't the fault of a device if it gets damaged like that now is it?

You don't like iTunes, fine, don't use it. I don't like iTunes either but I use it ONLY for my iPod because it makes getting firmware updates and new podcasts simple. You don't have to use it as a media player, nor does it degrade your system just by having it installed.

3. Why should I have to call anyone at all? I expect my device to work as promised when I purchase it. Suffice to say, good tech support is nice to have. Too bad Apple will in most cases recommend that you buy another unit. They're practically disposable.

So you expect any device you buy to work forever, and to never have any problems? Problems happen with any vendor, so you have no argument here. As for being disposable, I know plenty of people who have had iPods for a long time with need for replacement (myself included).

iriver FTW.

My kids have iPods, purchased by THEM because all the cool kids had them. I have listened to them (god the sound sucks), have seen what iTunes can do to your calm (although I have made a LOT of money when my clients call, freaking out because iTunes took a shit on their existance), and experienced their tears when the damn things would stop working (because they breathed on them the wrong way, it was humid outside, or the moon was in the 7th house).

iFuck all that.

iriver products have rocked for years, but remain relatively unknown for some reason. Both of my kids are poised to buy iriver players, as soon as they can unload their iPods.

I don't own an mp3 player right now, but if I did it would be an iriver.

I was looking at an iPhone but my god...a phone that is not 3g enabled? With a browser that cannot handle javascript well enough to make 50% of the websites you visit look right? A phone that you cannot replace the batteries on? A phone that you can only get by buying a plan from one of the crappiest mobile phone companies on the planet?

No thanks.

I will wait for the clone phone currently being manufactured in China that will do all the things an iPhone can do, can do all the things an iPhone CANNOT do (like the stuff I listed above), and will cost, oh, 150 dollars less?

I agree about the iPhone being a pretty big letdown. Not that I even have the option of getting one, but even if I did I'd definitely wait at least another generation or two for them to bring the price down and get some of the blatantly obvious missing features added in.

Well hell, my iPod has died completely. I charged the little fuck all night one night and i took it to school the next morning and turned it on while walking to class, and the dang thing said that there was no battery. Needless to say one of the things on my christmas list this year is wanting a new MP3 player, just so that I have something to listen to while I'm wandering around campus.

I tell people that the iPhone is shit, and they don't believe me. I tell them all about how bad the connection is and everything else and they're like, oh well its cool, so i'm going to buy it. I'd much rather waste 600+ dollars on something that actually works, like my dream camera, than a shitty phone.