MP3 Player (Need to buy one, need recommendations)

Just got the new 80 gig Zune. I must say I think it blows the competition away. 30 hour battery life huge screen and it's super thin and light weight and it's only $250:OMG:

I've gone through a couple HDD based mp3 players before and this is my advice to you.

Creative Nomad Zen xtra. It doesn't matter what size the HDD is in it since it takes a standard 2.5 IDE drive and it's easy to disassemble. What I would do it see if you can snag one up on ebay or otherwise. They should be really cheap since they're quite old now. Then get a monster HDD and switch them out.

The reason I like the nomad xtra is that it's got one of the best on-the-go playlist features I've seen in an mp3. Very intuitive.

Only bad thing about it is the headphone jack tends to fail after a couple of years unless you leave some plugged into it all the time. I recommend doing that.

For what it's worth -
I have a Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 40gb and an iphone. For a long time, I carried my Zen, a cell phone and a blackberry so the iphone was a nice option. Unlike some others, I LOVE my iphone and have had NO problems to date. Lots of great features like the visual VM, weather, internet, all of which I use many times a day. Tess bought it for me the weekend they came out, so we are not newbies either. She is a MAC princess as you know.
As far as the MP3 player, instead of carrying just the phone, which was a big selling point, I still carry my Dinosaur Zen, all big and low tech as it is, but it is awesome. No video or anything like the new ones, no fancy stuff. Reliable, easy to use (I'm old) and irreplaceable! I look out on ebay from time to time to buy a replacement for the sad day when it does finally die, but it's still kicking and gets used often!
I use the ipod on the phone rarely too, and I got a gift card for itunes as a gift, but I prefer to use my own cds and load them the hard way. Something a little too "big brother" about itunes. :) for this old lady.

Ma

The only thing that I ever use my iTunes for now is to actually play music on my PC and listen to my college radio. Other than that I barely use iTunes. for my computer I use WMP or the VLC player that i downloaded.

I really don't know what other kind of MP3 player that I would buy, but I like the look of the Zune. I havent really researched the iRiver, but by what Greykiller was telling my sister and I, it's pretty dang good.

how do all those secret charges feel?!

I've never had any problems with any "secret charges"...actually, I used to have Verizon and they were the KING of all secret charges. Now I have a bill with the same amount every month. Actually really nice, if you ask me. I couldn't live without my iPhone :)

Weird, I've never had a major problem with Verizon, and the minor problems -- roaming charges up in the boonies, a call that didn't end for 3 hours, etc. -- were solved immediately with a phone call, no hassles. Sprint, OTOH.....

</thread hijack>

Well this is something intresting that Greykiller and I saw in the holiday sale ads this morning.

An iPod nano with a storage capacity of 4 GB: $190.00

Comaprative to a Zune with a storage capacity of 30 GB for $99.99

Now I don't know about you guys, but i'd much rather buy the Zune and have a LOT more space to put music and such than a tiny little 4 GB POS iPod that dies after 3-4 years.

For all of you irritated by the lack of a replaceable iPod battery, please don't believe everything you hear (or read).
Look up and do the 5 minute procedure outlined HERE: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11293_7-6378822-1.html

And save the cost of sending the unit in to apple (75 bucks with shipping) or replacing the unit (175 for a new iPod).

Much nicer to spend 25 bucks for a battery and a little DIY to revive your iPod.