Anyone else using Laney VH100R

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
Anyone else using one of these amps? I've got a 2008 one, the ones with the newer handles on the corners (great feature!)

This amp absolutely fuckin' slays everything else I've tried, and I've owned Mesa gear, tried Marshall gear, and I even got rid of my Blackstar HT-5 once I got my Hotplate for the VH.

Go out and try one if you're in the market for a beast of an amp!

I've got one, I love it :) Is your 6l6 or EL34?

The only amp I've tried that sounds nicer than it is the all conquering 6505, but not by much :) I haven't tried a dual or triple rec yet so my opinion may change if I'm lucky enough to try one.

Joe

Nah, I agree. It can do tight and fairly modern, but thats not its forte really. Is yours 6l6 or el34 loaded Lasse?

Mine is el34. I'm not really into the whole tightness thing, but for what I do, the Laney is fucking awesome. We're recording our first album at the moment, and this thing is just killing these tracks.

edit: In a good way of course!

I think I'll leave it with EL34's then, I like the bite. What preamp tubes are you guys using in it?

Joe

Do you not find the tad (donely lol) tubes a bit too harsh? even the electro-harmonix tubes I put in were a tiny bit better. I think I'm gunna replace all the pre tubes and record before and after clips to see the difference.

Joe

Do you not find the tad (donely lol) tubes a bit too harsh? even the electro-harmonix tubes I put in were a tiny bit better. I think I'm gunna replace all the pre tubes and record before and after clips to see the difference.

Joe

TAD uses many different brands and relables them, depends on what you get.

My Recto has all TAD in the preamp atm, but most of them are actually JJ.

Mine is all stock currently. Toying with the idea of replacing the tubes though. Bearing in mind my sludgey post-metal leanings... what tubes would you recommend for the preamps?

Anyone else using one of these amps? I've got a 2008 one, the ones with the newer handles on the corners (great feature!)

This amp absolutely fuckin' slays everything else I've tried, and I've owned Mesa gear, tried Marshall gear, and I even got rid of my Blackstar HT-5 once I got my Hotplate for the VH.

Go out and try one if you're in the market for a beast of an amp!

Am I right in assuming this is basically a 2-channel version of the GH100L + Reverb?

I love my GH100L and switched in Sovtek EL34s shortly after I bought it (they used to come with 5881 as standard). Great for sludgey doomy stuff or even just old-school raw death metal :rock/;.

I ADORE the clean channel of it and the amp is fucking awesome on doomy/sludgy stuff. not at all liking it for modern/tight stuff though

I was actually looking at getting a second amp to get some tighter tones (even a Bugera 6260) but after seeing this video, I'm gonna spend the money on some 6L6s and an SD-1 instead.

I love how the bias switch makes it easy to play around with different tones so easily.

About to swap in a pair of new 12AX7s too (i'll swap the phase and input buffer preamp tubes later)

Of course if this amp is a totally different beast from my Laney than you can ignore everything i said

Jesse

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the lead channel on the VH100R is supposed to be very similar to the GH series.

I've got a GH50L myself, but I can't get it to not sound fizzy for the life of me, could probably do with an attenuator really.

Yeah, its sludgey as fuck without a ts7. Given how much they cost no VH100R owner should be without one ;)

Joe