anyone ever build a flight case?

mick thompson

AKA: Ross Canpolat! SM!
Nov 3, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
anyone ever build a flight case?

is it a nightmare?

overly expensive?

would you be better off to just buy one from a flight case builder?

my peavey & gigging racks need a home

Depends on how you want it to look .
If you want to make it look like you bought it then finding the materials cheaply can be a bit of a drag but easy enough to put together.
I once made a 2X12 cab modelled on a Harley Benton but it actually cost more though it was more solidly put together .
If you was going to make a rack case what would you use for materials ?
Birch ply covered with aluminium sheeting would probably look the best for the price. The rack mounts can sometimes be found pretty cheap on eBay but all these little bits and bobs that finish it all off are what bump the price up if your not buying in bulk .

yea you see sourcing materials in ireland i think will be a bit of a problem because to be honest we have a very small industry over here.

they would prob have to be imported.

on that note whats the going rate for a flight case? say to hold 1 head and a 6u rack and to be built sturdy?

I'm about to build one for my guitar. I wouldn't say it'll be a flight case 'cause it simply won't stand to a real flight (you know how gentle carriers are). But it'll cost me about 1/3 of on you can buy in a store - a wooden one, of course. There's a nice tutorial on youtube about building a case for a dragon guitar.