Anyone ever had there email account hacked? and did it go further?

professorlamp

I are Joe
Nov 2, 2009
Wales, United Kingdom
Just had all my contacts deleted (thankfully this is my non important email address) i've changed my password but am worried they might somehow get onto my computer stuff and start going crazy wiv ma filezzzz. Has this ever happened to anyone here?

I think my facebook account got hacked a few weeks ago because my password had changed and certain friends on my list had been deleted, luckily I managed to get back into it and change all my passwords and privacy settings.

1: what email you use? hotmail? gmail? yahoo? or some bogus new company?

2: is your password retarded? your name, or mobile number - pick a pass that is 8 characters minimum (letters and numbers) and that is irrelevant to your generic self that people could guess. example my gmail password is 12 characters and my hotmail password is 17 characters due to fuckers trying to gain access to my work and personal emails and both are to do with "random planet names in our galaxy and the make of my old school lockers"

3: is your secret answer retarded? example for mine i always pick "whats your 1st pets name" and i always give a completely off topic answer but only i know that answer - makes people stop trying to guess

4: have you let any fucktards near your pc? Cain & Abel app for windows can reveal system & cached passwords and can also crack hex's etc with the simple click of the dump button. someone could easily have installed it from the net or off a flash drive and dumped your passwords when you were not looking because it takes literally seconds to do. i done it to a fuck load of public computers in the past and you wouldn't believe some of the details i got. i never used them for exploiting and never will. just to see how much i could reveal

if i were you i would install a logger onto your computer to check what people are doing when your not around. also do the most basic pc sweep. run SmithfraudFix on your computer and clear your DNS, registry and proxies incase you were being watched by a trojan. you'll loose your wallpaper but free up your computer from generic crappy little spyware things and clear out any nasty shit out. thats all i can recommend.

Just happened to my SPAM dump/MSN account. I started spamming everyone with 35GB iPod deals.

No idea how it would've happened. The password is entirely nonsensical, and I've never typed the account in anywhere other than my IM client (Digsby). Computer is also entirely clean of spyware.

I had what you had ermz, just emailing my whole contact list about ipod deals and for some reason deleted emails from september onwards, there's been no more problems since i changed my password , but mehh we'll see how it goes

^ Yeh, i've seen that one a few times recently. As I recall, it's a piece of spyware that embeds itself into messenger and will evade most spyware searchers e.g. the commonly used spybot search and destroy.

It happened to my hotmail account a few months back. Spammed everyone in my contacts and erased all my contacts. It was rather annoying, as the account has been my "main" email account for like 12 years. Oh well...

It's important to change not only the password (obviously) but every answer to the security questions that you made (in case you forget your password and such). Because if someone got into your accounts, he already knows all that info too so he can recover password whenever he likes.

Just happened to my SPAM dump/MSN account. I started spamming everyone with 35GB iPod deals.

No idea how it would've happened. The password is entirely nonsensical, and I've never typed the account in anywhere other than my IM client (Digsby). Computer is also entirely clean of spyware.

In most cases, they don't really break into your account, he uses your name/mail and masks where it's coming from actually.

Gmail better?
mine hasn't been fixed as i thought :(
im gettin no emails off of companies that i want, like amazon and GAK, only off people who are on my contact list can email me which is a pain in the ARSE
I'll try Gmail next then and hope for the best