Anyone ever heard Son Volt ?

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
These guys are considered "insurgent country" or "punk country." I have one of their CDs "Trace" but I wouldn't recommend it to most metal-heads as many of the songs are a bit slow and well.... too country. Two songs, "Drown" and "Route" are extremely cool though. I actually heard "Drown" on eMpTV some years ago and had to get it. If more of the other songs were like the two I mentioned it would be pretty tough. Having said that, I throw on those two songs once in a blue moon when I want to hear something different.

Bryant

Trace is one of the finest albums Jay Farrar has done, and the slow songs are some of the best. I'd say the best song on that album is Windfall. If I were trying to find an album he's done that would appeal to rock / metalheads, it would be the first couple Uncle Tupelo albums, especially No Depression. Anodyne is the best Uncle Tupelo album, though. Also, his latest solo album Sebastapol is quite good, much better than his Uncle Tupelo partner Jeff Tweedy's latest (Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot).