Anyone ever mic up an 15" speaker for heavy guitar?

exafro

Jul 5, 2007
What's up fellas? I have a quick question, maybe someone here can help. Years ago when I was slowly piecing together my rack setup back in high school I can across a great deal on a cab. It's an Avatar 2x15 and I've never upgraded from it. The thing is, recently, after a couple years of using a Toneport or going DI w/impulses, I've decided I want to try my hand at micing up the amp myself. My question is, have any of you attempted this? Do you have any tips/tricks, or am I just completely on my own here? I'd assume that the general principles are the same but I want to check in here before I get stuck trying to do something that isn't really ideal.

If anyone is interested, I recorded a clip of the cab with my MP-1+Peavey 60/60. I definitely need to futz around with the mic position some more, because this is a bit dark and everything else I recorded was way too fizzy and bright.
Doom

i practice with my Line 6 X3L, and i have quite a few presets that use the bass 4x15 cab for metal. especially with the Big Bottom amp model.

actually, it has inspired me to make my own cab w/ 2 12's and a 15. i have a couple of 12's (P50E's), can anyone recommend a good 15"?

Thanks for listening guys. Phat, the only 15" speaker I know of that is designed for guitar are the Eminence Legend 125, I think that what they are called.