Anyone ever recorded drums/drum samples outdoors?

GarethSE

New Metal Member
Jul 5, 2008
How'd it go?

I was thinking earlier, I might try and get my bud with a big ass expensive mapex kit down soon to the college studio and record some shit outdoors (since the rooms INSIDE college sound worse than a thousand paris hiltons warbling down a long cardboard tube right into your fucking ear, no joke) and capture some epic reverberations too.

But since he'd have to get his kit down in his friend's car, pay for petrol, take the time to set each drum up to record samples, blah blah, it'd have to be worth it.

Could try getting some of those white racks people use for hanging clothes up (that little kids inevitably make blanket forts out of when they're 4 years old, fuck yeah,) hang some blankets up over them, strategically position them to try and deaden some weird accoustics.

If you guys are up for helping me figure this shit out, I can supply some samples of a gooood sounding kit. I want to give something back to this forum that's given me so much.

That would be cool as bro - I dunno how outdoors would turn out - Ive never done it myself but have always been curious! If it works out I'll definitely get some kits together and sample them in my back lawn! haha

I can't remember what song it's on, but Muse recorded drums outside on something from Black Holes & Revelations - they showed it in a 'making of' thing that came with the CD. I remember my first thought on hearing the songs being "Wow... it doesn't sound any different".

I think the problem is that outside reverb is really different; the times are much longer and it's generally not as loud - so when you close mic the kit, the actual environmental sounds don't really make a huge difference.

With lots of "room" mics you could probably get some awesome echo-ey samples, but on the one example I've heard it wasn't noticeable. I reckon for something less dense musically it would work though.

Steve

I don't recall which album it was, or if drums were done entirely outside but I remember STP recording drums outside for at least one song or two on one of their older albums.

IIRC, STP actually set up the kit on the bottom of an empty swimming pool...

Could have been for sure. I remember seeing the drummer in some video they played on MTV, some interview or something, playing his kit on the lawn near a tree. I think there was a pool at the house they used for recording the album too.