Anyone got any not so clicky kick samples?

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
Anyone got any not so clicky kick samples?

I've got this project that I'm working on thats more along the lines of a heavy Sabbath or Black Label Society. I don't like the kick sound I recorded- the guys kick drum was terrible and I'm not getting the tone out of it I want. I spent a decent bit of time setting up the damping and the mic on the day but his drum was in shocking condition.

I've tried sample repalcement and just blending in samples but nothings sounding right- all my good usual samples are way too clicky and even eqing out the click is making them sound weird and you can still hear that the sample was clicky.
Anyone got any really fat, not that clicky samples that sound good? I have about 10-15 more in the right kinda ball park tone wise but they aren't good samples, some ripped from a pelican record and stuff like that, that sound strange.

I'm gonna have a go at making some of my own with some kick drums in my house but figured I'd try here as well in case they didn't turn out all right. I'll post em up here regardless when I've them made- give a little, get a little!

Put a low pass filter on it
Roll off at around 10 or so
That should get rid of the smack?/ I would say

you'd have to go with a lot lower of a roll-off than 10k...most of the smack comes from 2k or so upwards

i know you mentioned EQ'ing out the click, but did you use a parametric or shelving EQ?

i'd throw some boomy samples up here, but i'm moving soon and all my shit is packed in boxes...i don't even have the capacity to listen through samples at the moment

Yep. The click for me is generally from 2k to 8k. Just do a dip around 4k and mess around with how wide, and deep it should be till it sounds good. I'm sorry this isn't really a helpful answer because you're looking for new samples that are more natural. I'll see if I have any you would like, but for now play around with that.

Also, try making some of your own samples from the drummers kick! That's probably the best solution, as long as his drum isn't shitty.

Cool, I'll give that sample a go Keith thanks!
I've tried eqing out the click on the samples that I've got but it affects the overall tone too much no matter whether I notch it out or low pass.
Taking samples of the drummers own kick isn't really an option- tracking's over and it was in such crap condition that I couldn't get it sounding decent in the first place. To be honest I didn't want to even sample replace on this project at all since its not that modern metal and the overall vibe is quite old school.
Hopefully I'll get to sample the kick drums I've got in my house tonight or tomorrow and I'll stick 'em up here too