Awesome Tom samples.

Contra Studio

Jul 13, 2011
Hell Paso
Hey guys I've been looking for some drum samples that sound low and tight not so clicky like a snare. If you ever heard of Refused (epic band)they have a song called
New Noise. On the build up those toms sound so sexy nice and dry an deep! Any ways I can't get that tone from Slate Trigger or S.D 2.0. Any one know of a place where I can get some sample if great sounding toms?

I'm gonna sound like a total dick, but if you can't get Superior/Slate toms to sound good there must be something YOU'RE doing wrong. :/
And if you like those Refused toms so much (personally I can barely distinguish them), have you tried researching who produced them, how they were recorded, what toms, ect?

I also agree with Viking, LSD drums sound wonderful!

Maybe I am doing something wrong. Just the toms are tricky to work in the mix. The slate ones sound over boomy and clicky. I'm happy to pay for Tom samples dident mean to come off as a freeloader...

Maybe I am doing something wrong. Just the toms are tricky to work in the mix. The slate ones sound over boomy and clicky. I'm happy to pay for Tom samples dident mean to come off as a freeloader...

Slate toms work just fine but you need to work them a little. Depending on the type of music and the overall sound you have going in a mix you're gonna have to do some EQing to shape them a bit and hit the sound you're trying for. The point with Slate toms is they are recorded with top level gear and in top level rooms which most people can't afford. Doesn't mean you can just drop 'em in and forget 'em either

I don't have Superior but from anything I've ever heard or read the avatar toms are incredible.

Its not that you come across as a freeloader ... maybe a bit too much like someone trying to cut some corners. Point being that as others said, if you can't get some of those other toms to work right then you're doing something wrong and THAT is what you need to fix ;)

Well I'm using the slate and S.D 2 I tried editing with eqs and they just don't come out the way I like in the mix. I'm working on metal so it has to come out in the mix just right I'll send you guys some samples when I get back into town

S.2 have the best sounding toms out there. The avatar toms are awesome. If you can't get them to sound awesome in a mix then it is user fault.

i always loved the way they sounded, so natural when solo'd or used in a rock mix. but for metal, i could never get them to really beat. i would say give me some help, but unlike many users on this forum, i am going for the seemingly unprecedented "search" function. ;)

i always loved the way they sounded, so natural when solo'd or used in a rock mix. but for metal, i could never get them to really beat. i would say give me some help, but unlike many users on this forum, i am going for the seemingly unprecedented "search" function. ;)

Forget the search function...use the custom Sneap Google search. And check out this thread...it'll get you in the ballpark:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/307384-general-tom-eq-tips.html

"custom sneap google search" = search function. and i have read that thread many times and others alike. it isnt the EQ i have a problem with, its making the sound big. IMO they wound too weak for metal, at least the way i tend to use them. then again, my cpu cannot handle the power if i were to route the toms to separate buses and throw some 3rd party VSTs on them. so all i have been able to do is use the stock fx from SD2

They are great for metal too. They are by far the best toms out there. I liked the NY kit too.

"custom sneap google search" = search function. and i have read that thread many times and others alike. it isnt the EQ i have a problem with, its making the sound big. IMO they wound too weak for metal, at least the way i tend to use them. then again, my cpu cannot handle the power if i were to route the toms to separate buses and throw some 3rd party VSTs on them. so all i have been able to do is use the stock fx from SD2

A lot of the bigness you're looking for is a combo of the extra room/full ki mics and/or reverb

Also by combining a couple sets of samples ... Using the best qualities of each. EQ alone can't handle all problems

A lot of the bigness you're looking for is a combo of the extra room/full ki mics and/or reverb

Also by combining a couple sets of samples ... Using the best qualities of each. EQ alone can't handle all problems

That's what I did with the slate trigger, in using two samples per Tom still unhappy. When the kit is solo they sound nice. Even with the bass and drum solo they are sexy. But once those gtrs come along(sigh)
They just don't work I'll show you vatos later when I get back home.