Anyone hear of Evil Dead?

SheisMySin

Apr 24, 2006
I bought this CD based on a review from a website, and some cool 80's thrash coverart....and it is just awesome, but I can't seem to find anyone else who has even heard of this band.

Kinda sounds like a mix of Testament with S.O.D/Anthrax heavy riffs and 80's thrash. Great old school thrash that still holds up today. Not just speedy stuff, but good catchy riffs and songwriting.

Anyone else like or know of them?

Scott

I've never bothered to check them out, I always imagined them as fairly generic, despite the cool Repka art.

If they're like Testament then...no thanks.

They're okay, but yeah, pretty generic, a little too loose and carefree in a sense for me. Though I own both full-lengths.

Necuratul said:
They're okay, but yeah, pretty generic, a little too loose and carefree in a sense for me. Though I own both full-lengths.

Hehe, I love it! Not that you have a spending addiction but:

"I don't like them much. I've got both their albums" :lol:

I didn't say I don't like them. In case you haven't noticed, I have a penchant for the generic, especially with regards to Thrash. It's just not something I intend on revisiting very often and, with the size of my collection, really isn't a problem.

I wouldn't compare their overall sound to Testament, but yeah....I was listening to it yesterday, and I think some of the guitar work sounds like Alex Skolnik...maybe that's just me.

Scott

They did a fantastic cover of an old punk tune called 'Rise above'

and on the basis of that I bought the first album.

Which was a massive disappointment. Comparred to Overkill and Metal church and bands of their ilk that I was listening to at the time, Evil Dead didn't compare.

However now I own a record deck again, I'll give 'em another go....

lol @ Jreg - sorta, yeah.

The thrash isn't speed Slayer thrash, it's bay area thrash that sounds similar to MOD and SOD, only better songwriting. The "Rise Above" track sounds a little surfy to me too...?

As far as not comparing to Metal Church and Overkill...that's setting the bar awfully high...but I still like this CD. Guess I'm in the minority :p

Scott

They're about 10 times better than Testament. "Annihilation of Civilization" is excellent, the leadwork of Juan Garcia is ridiculous, and each song consists of total brutality.

Testament is just completely mediocre in every single way.

The Legacy is better than Evildead. Neither of them are particularly impressive.

>>Testament is just completely mediocre in every single way.

Haha...no way bro.

First of all - Practice what you Preach and New World Order are monster albums. They were pretty much on par with Master of Puppets when it came out. Maybe slightly lower.

At the time of thrash, it was like....

Metallica
Testament
Slayer
Anthrax
Overkill

Everyone else...

I'll admit Testament has some mediocre tracks, but they have so many freaking hits it's insane.

Scott

That's what people that know 6 thrash bands tend to think, so I can see where you're coming from. :kickass:

>That's what people that know 6 thrash bands tend to think, so I can see where you're coming from.

lol...

Well if you mean am I one of those guys who need to like the deep underground of thrash in which hardly anyone has ever heard of....then yeah, I probably don't know ALL the thrash bands like you.

Scott