Anyone heard of Mammal?

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
It's not often I stumble across a local band that impresses me, but one of my rock clients put me onto these guys recently. Now defunct, these guys apparently had a pretty big local following at the time (all of which I missed!):

Actually think these guys are quite good! Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when they were at their peak. they were somewhat in the same scene as karnivool but i never really listened to any of those bands then haha

Didn't know them, I love it. I always thought Australia had a fair good share of awesome rock bands, like COG, Karnivool, Dead Letter Circus, Wolfmother, The Butterfly Effect. There's a lot of top level rock there.

Ermz.. I love you man, but you manage to overlook some pretty staurated things haha. How have you been on Melband for so long and NOT had Mammal forced down your throat?? :p

Yeah, they were pretty damn good when they were around, sadly, Zeke, the singer, is a gigantic dick nugget.... And yes, check out full scale seeing as I believe they got back together when Zeke left Mammal etc :)

Didnt know. A band that sounds fresh to my ears. Awesome.
This track is also very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seen Mammal a fair bit they seemed to be support act at nearly every gig i went to a few years back. Their earlier release had some heavier material. You're right about that singer the band prob still be around if not for that tool. The guitarist and drummer started Black Devil Yard Boss a rock sort of act good live

I think I saw them somewhere over 50 times for the duration of their career and have heard many stories surrounding the breakup, once zeke left the band the others wrote some songs and were looking for a new singer but they were kinda burned out from the whole experience and didn't have the passion and drive, hence the formation of Black Devil Yard Boss by the drummer and guitarist whilst the bass player went on to form Sub Atari Knives (a drum and bass style band).

I had an audition with the guitarist from Full Scale recently, his new band Out Of Orbit is playing at Rock The Bay in February. From the demos I heard he's going for a mixture of all the best aspects of metal, harmonized guitars, 80's style solos with super catchy choruses.

Best Mammal song hands down was Nagasaki in Flames.

For gear heads, Pete had a JCM 900 and a Mesa Rectifier hidden behind his cab on stage. I think he slaved the JCM through the Mesa Poweramp.
I noticed this at the gig they did at YahYahs in Collingwood, it was an awesome little benefit show where they filled a hat with song names and had people in the crowd pull them out one by one to dictate the setlist.

Wolfmother is the tits. Their first album that is, dunno what happened after that.

Well, you know, since this is a Metal forum and all... :D Besides, if you're going to judge by the debut album, you can say Nickelback is a solid band. :D That wouldn't change the fact that they're in it to suck the record company's dick. Not saying Wolfmother is good or bad; people here mostly endorse heavier stuff.