Anyone here good with car electrical stuff?

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Trying to get a bit of insight here.

I have a '92 Buick LeSabre that's been sitting for months with an electrical problem.

It all started when I plugged my buddies iPhone charger/FM transmitter thingy into the cigarette lighter. This caused some sort of short, where my interior lights stay on all the time, my radio stopped working, and the door "beeper" is constantly on, except it makes a drawn-out beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep", only it sounds weak and cuts in and out sort of.

Now, here's something else: the fader for the dash lights/interior light (the interior light is active when the fader is all the way in the "INT" position) also affects this "beeeeeep" and affects my fan/ac/defroster controls.

When I press the cigarette lighter in a bit, it stops this "beeeeep" sound, but when I let it back out, the beep returns.

I cannot turn the defroster off, nor can I switch it to just FAN....it is basically stuck on Defog and Defrost.

I have to pull the fuse for the courtesy lights to get the interior lights to shut off (this is when the key is out of the ignition, and doors close; the interiors still stay on, except when the fuse is pulled.

I know, this probably sounds crazy, and I should just take it to a shop. But, this car is sort of on its last limb, and I'm debating either just scrapping it, or getting an estimate on the possible fix and continue driving it for maybe another year.

If anyone has any advice here, it'd be great. I know this isn't an auto forum, but my online searches lead me to either bad fuse or relay, or shorted wiring somewhere. I checked most of the fuses that could/should cause this issue.

You're fucked.

Pretty obvious this problem has to do with the cigar lighter. Before you do anything on it you should disconnect the battery though.
Sounds like you should give it to a pro tbh.

Another tid bit of info which I just discovered:

If I remove the MaxiFuse (I think thats what they are called?) on the firewall/under the hood, which is a 40A fuse that controls the horn and interior lights, the issue goes away. I still assume that it's a short somewhere and not a fuse issue.

Have you tried replacing the cigarette lighter? I had a similar issue in my car where some water got into the central locking pump and caused a short circuit and it caused all kinds of wacky shit with a whole other bunch of electronics in my car. The alarm sounded constantly, lights going on and off etc. Replaced the pump and all the other problems went away.

No I haven't. I just tried to disconnect it but couldnt get the harness to clip off, and I'm just not so sure I should even worry about it.

Technically, if I disconnect the cigarette lighter, this problem shouldn't occur (if, that is the case, anyway)?

There is a shop about 2 mins up the road from me. I want to take it in and get an estimate, but if it's something as simple as the cigarette lighter, and it takes them hours or days to even figure it out, I'd save a ton of $ if I could fix it myself.

You will need some C4 with a remote detonator, and stand back at least 50 yards. The longer the better. You'll want to be clear of the shrapnel and debris when you put that car out of it's misery.

Glenn might offer some good advice?

Ficker, right? Maybe I should PM him. I just feel I'm wasting my time with this junker and should just get something newer. Just trying to save $ right now and get by without having to up my insurance and buy from a dealer. Did find some decent deals on Craigslist, but finally just got $ that was owed to me for months and have just about $3k to play with on a car.

I'd at least yank the cigarette lighter. If its a choice between giving it a shot and junking the car you can alway cut and cap the wires if you can't get the harness apart. Those old molded connectors are shitty anyway so that may well be the source of your short.