Anyone here have PT 8 working on Windows 7 x64 ?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
I could really use some help , since Digidesign is taking forever answering my emails and the info on their site is very confusing. I just finished installing Windows 7 x64 and some extra RAM on my computer , I previously had Windows XP on it. It seems a lot of people are having trouble installing PT 8 on Windows 7 x64. Digi released a "beta" audio driver and an update that supposedly works with Windows 7 , but I can't install the actual PT 8 disk , so that I can install the downloaded update after. A lot of forums have said you should uninstall IE8, which I did, as well as all of the Vista optimizations for PT 8. I am running the installation setup as Administrator and in Vista SP 2 Compatibility mode. It keeps hanging up on "Installing Digidesign Hardware Drivers" , which I have read can take up to a half hour , but I literally left it all night , with no success. If anyone has had any success I would appreciate any tips. I have read most of this thread , and followed it as much as I could , seems the only place with any real info ATM.
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=257999&page=13

i just put PT M-8 on my laptop which is running W7 x32. works just fine. only think i had to do was disable IE8 (which you did). sorry i couldnt help

Wonder if there's any way to slipstream the new driver into the old install package. Far beyond my skills though. Just in case you weren't, run the installer as administrator (find setup.exe or similar on the disk, right click, run as administrator)

Thanks for the replies ! That is very strange that no one else had any problems. I did disable IE8 (even tried disabling the internet entirely) I ran it as administrator, the damn thing was just on all night again , stuck on installing digidesign hardware drivers. It was a clean install by the way , not an upgrade.

By the way , I also got Windows 7 for my laptop about a month ago (x32) and installed PT 8 on that with no problems. This problem must be x64 exclusive . Yay ! Haha. How did you guys exactly install ? Did you install the new audio drivers for Win 7 first , or after the PT 8 disk install? And then after you got PT 8 installed you just used the 8.0.3b or whatever upgrade?

I think I may have found my problem. On Windows 7 , after I did a clean install , it created a folder called windows.old , which has all my old shit in it , including Pro Tools preferences , sessions etc ! I guess I just delete all this shit and reboot and try again?

Now it keeps giving me this -

The current Microsoft version does not support this operation. ocurred in.\ CopyInf.cpp at line number:383 Other error : 10 Internal Operation : 200

No one else got this?

Are you using M-Powered or PTLE?

You're best bet is to go here and read read read.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=257999

Good luck.

Hey thanks . I'm using LE. That's the exact same thread I linked to in my first post lol. I read every single page of that , no one has a straight up list of exactly how to install. It's just got ten million people chiming in with all their specific problems and listing every piece in their rig.

I only have M-Powered 7.4 and I don't think I'll ever get that to run under Win 7 x64.

I don't really understand all this to be honest - plenty of people have stated that they got it working perfectly and yet no one has revealed exactly how. I wish Digidesign would just release a download that included the update , so we didn't have to install from the disk which Win 7 can't seem to read.

It's ALWAYS been that way with Avid/Digidesign. And I'm no longer willing to buy into their "it's our way or no way at all" bullshit anymore. The Win 7 Betas have been out for so long now so they had plenty of time to provide their users with the necessary updates. It took them an eternity to provide somewhat proper support for Vista and XP x64 too.

And Mac Users aren't that much better off too. Every time a new OS X version came around and you were stupid enough to update your system, PT fucked you over.

I can understand that not everything is provided right at the release of a new OS, it took Steinberg some weeks to provide updates for Cubase 5 too, but Avid/Digi doesn't even give a rough estimate on when the necessary updates will be available, just a "we're working on it".

I've contemplated buying M-Powered 8 after falling in love with 7.4 again. But I'm not really willing to hold on to an ancient OS (XP x86) with many bottlenecks to be able to run PT.

I hear you man , that seriously sucks. They're supposed to be the industry standard, and what , all these famous producers have to hang on to these old ass computer rigs lol?