anyone here interested in helping me to improve this mix? ;))))

Estudio Blost

Ophelia is my constant!!
Hi you all guys !!

first of all, I apologize if my English is not entirely correct (Spanish guy here…….yupppppp :D)
I try to write the best I can, and of course ... google translate is my best friend right now ... hahahaha

For many years I read your interesting posts, but I've never felt enough courage to write anything ;)

but now, I need a bit of your help

these last years I've been working a bit with some local bands, recording some of his stuff and giving them the opportunity to have some recorded songs without paying the excessive prices of the few recording studios around here. I don’t own a studio myself, so for now, I track everything in the rehearsal room of the bands or whatever, and then mix and master at my home studio (that is, one of my bedrooms at home, of course…..haha…)

usually, the results are good and the bands have been very happy with my work

lately, I've been working on the recording / production / mastering of 6 tracks for a band, and the truth is that although they and I are quite happy with the sound in general, I concluded that the more I listen to the material, the less I like the sound of guitars.

I talked to them, and they say perhaps it is time to finish the job. They tell me it's true that the guitars are not entirely to his liking, but overall, the material sounds powerful and compelling and they are 80% satisfied.

anyway, I would love to surprise them a little by improving the sound of guitars before I finish the whole work (I want they’re 100% satisfied)

so I decided that would be a great idea to ask for some help in this forum, in which I learned many things over the years :D

Well, first of all, I do hope that no one get bothered with this post, being this the first one I write. I haven’t been such an active member last years but I read your stuff a lot guys, and I respect everyone’s point of view here.

Well…this is what I want to tell you:

I extracted a fragment of one minute of one song from this band. The song title is "Fire".

(note: by the way, I work with Pro Tools M-Powered and the plugins I mostly use are McDSP Filterbank, URS Strip Pro, MH Channel Strip, McDSP Analog Channel, McDSP ML4 and ML1 and Waves RenComp)

What I have done is to split the song in stems

So if you agree, I leave here below a link for you to be able to download them

Link: EstudioBlost Stems

Notice that all tracks are in stereo. I apologize but since the band is asking me a bit of a hurry to finish the job, I just did a bounce of the master bus for each stem. I thought you would have no problem if I send the tracks in this way.

When you uncompress the file, you will see that there are 2 folders. You can choose the option you want. One corresponds to the stems without mastering, and the other, the stems already mastered.

The mastering effects chain that I used on the master bus is as follows, in case anyone is interested:

Slot 1: URS Strip Pro (only the compressor)
Slot 2: Stillwell Audio Event Horizon (Limit Mode)
Slot 3: Stillwell Audio Event Horizon (Limit Mode, giving a few more db of loudness)
Slot 4: McDSP ML4000 (as a limiter and expander only)

I can send the presets if you want. Please let me know.

The tone of guitars comes directly from different presets of Revalver MKIII and some impulses (cannot remember which ones…..sorry)

I tried to reamp the whole thing but I didn’t like the results at all, so I had to use Revalver once again…yeahhh ;)

so

Basically, what I want is you to try to help me get the guitars sound maybe bigger (stronger, fatter,…dunno,…call it your way) and appropriate to the style these people play

maybe you will tell me that there is not much we can do about it, but I don’t know, maybe you can do a better mix of this song with just some eq and I have not been able to get it. If so, that’d be GGGREEATT!! ;)

but if not, you have another link below in which the guitar and Bass DIs are found (the bass DI is there just in case anyone wants to try a different approach with the sound of the bass in order to fit better with guitars)

here’s the link: EstudioBlost DIs

that way, someone can get a new and better guitar tone using amp sims and impulses so we could discard the stems I’d already made for the guitars.

As I said before, I gladly own Revalver MKIII ;) and I have lots of impulses that are so common on this forum (Recabinet, Catharsis, and so on)

so if someone manages to improve the sound of my mixes with this system and want to share with me some preset for Revalver or so and also give me some insight on how to equalize the whole guitar thing to fit in the mix, would be infinitely grateful!!!!!! J

BTW, the names of the stems are quite clear. but if you have any questions, let me know too.
just in case, the stems "Guitar 1A ......" and "Guitar 1B ....." means that are the same guitar DI but with different presets / impulses of Revalver ok?

honestly, I don’t know what else I can tell you….

I would just like to thank the willingness there’s always in this forum when it’s time to help those who do not have such skills

THANK YOU GUYS in advance

hopefully you can make this band sound like it deserves;)

and if you can’t,…I’ll thank you guys anyway

best regards

Carlos
EstudioBlost

yeahhhhhh!!

Dandelium eso suena brutal!!!....ho hooooooooooooo! :DDDDDD

(por si acaso alguien más lee esto, casi que mejor te escribo en inglés ok?...que veo que lo controlas bien y así todos nos entienden ;) )

thannnnnnnnnnnnnnnx dude

that's suppppppper-fine!!

Would you mind sharing some tips about what you've done for this to sound so powerful?

pm if you want!!!....so we can even talk in spanish or whatever ;)

cheeeeeeeersssssss dude!!!... :DDDD :worship:

Hey Carlos! Nice to have another Canarian on here. Guess we may know each other.

That Erik test sounds good to me! Maybe some more snare smack by blending some samples and a little less guits would help.

Let us know what band is it. Cheers paisano!

heyyy !!!... sure we know each other :kickass:, although I think not in person. I rather think we know about our bands. I am the singer / guitarist on TemplosuR and also play guitar on LaVieEnGrey

and yepppppp..... now I guess you're the singer of Milk Fiction .... haha

I am glad to see more "gente del lugar" over here ;)

I think someone from Zeronaut also writes on this forum

the truth is that from a few years I've been reading this forum regularly but never dared to write something. from now on I hope to do it more often. Here you can always learn new amazing things

regarding the Dandelium's test, I liked a lot!

I hope to talk to him soon to see if I get the songs of this band sound so powerful

ah yeah!!...I had already noticed that the guitars need a tad less volume, but I'll wait to see what Erik has to say ;)

anyway, I hope some other users will also contribute offering different viewpoints, though I sincerely believe Dandelium's attempt really kicks asses and is probably enough for me

Hey Tony, I really appreciate your input on this topic, many thanks!

see you somewhere on the island! ;))))

thank you all guys

cheers

Ah sure, now I know who you are, hahah. Not in person but of course I know both bands, great ones!!! Didn't notice Alea Jacta were still playing, good news. Also heard you were starting a new band maybe?

Yeah Mark is a great guy as most of the crew on here.

And yeah, I hope we meet someday. And don't hesitate to ask for whatever you may need, I'll be glad to help if I can.

Keep on posting some more, I liked the tune, and yeah, definitely lowering guitars. I'd also like to hear vocals with some more automated fx, mainly a slight delay sometimes, but hey, great job!

Did you hear out there that I have a new project?

mmmm ... you probably heard that I will produce the new album for Re-Move's former singer. Or maybe you mean LaVieEnGrey precisely, which is the latest project I've ever played. Beyond that, only with TemplosuR still active;)

thank you for offering your help dude, if I need something I'll let you know

I'm glad you like the song of Jacta Alea. I will post some other clips of this band as soon as possible, stay tuned. They have great songs there.

to be perfectly honest, I'm a real freak of delays and such effects..... hahahahah

I have abused them in other jobs I've done because I believe are essential to the sound of a vocalist

but the fact is that with Jacta Alea, I wanted to insist on not overdo the delays thing

but sure you can hear them in various parts of the 6 songs

I'll let you know when the cd is finished so you can hear it in its entirety

talk ya' :p

hi again guys ;)

Anyone else feel like trying to give me a helping hand?

anyway, Dandelium, if you agree, please let tell me how we can talk or something. I am very interested in what you do to the guitars or the overall mix to sound so good

I hope not to bother too much with my problems here, but this band is pushing me a bit to finish the job, sorry! :saint:

thank you very much to everyone in advance

regards

Carlos
EstudioBlost

Hi Zildjianmatt ;)

the vocal chain for vocals in that song is:

1) URS Strip Pro for EQ only
2) URS Strip Pro for a touch of EQ more (with different algorithms from the other instance of this plugin)
3) Waves RenComp
4) McDSP ML4000 ML1 for limiting

the only effect of voice in this song is a bit of delay

I used Digidesign's Long Delay II, which I inserted into a stereo bus

if you want I'll send the presets

hey, I love the guitar tone you've accomplished with my song

Would you mind sharing with me the chain of effects as well?

I'm in a hurry with this band. got to finish the work next week or so :/

I made a test with the suggestions Dandelium made, but I'm having some problems with pro tools in windows environment :zombie: so I tried to install Reaper just for this and see what happened. unfortunately I don't have much skill with Reaper. The results are not that fine

so maybe you work at mac environment and everything gets easier to me

in any case, whatever platform you use, I would really like to know how you got my mix sound that amazing

many thanks mate

talk ya'

Hi Zildjianmatt ;)

the vocal chain for vocals in that song is:

1) URS Strip Pro for EQ only
2) URS Strip Pro for a touch of EQ more (with different algorithms from the other instance of this plugin)
3) Waves RenComp
4) McDSP ML4000 ML1 for limiting

the only effect of voice in this song is a bit of delay

I used Digidesign's Long Delay II, which I inserted into a stereo bus

if you want I'll send the presets

hey, I love the guitar tone you've accomplished with my song

Would you mind sharing with me the chain of effects as well?

I'm in a hurry with this band. got to finish the work next week or so :/

I made a test with the suggestions Dandelium made, but I'm having some problems with pro tools in windows environment :zombie: so I tried to install Reaper just for this and see what happened. unfortunately I don't have much skill with Reaper. The results are not that fine

so maybe you work at mac environment and everything gets easier to me

in any case, whatever platform you use, I would really like to know how you got my mix sound that amazing

many thanks mate

talk ya'

Nice! Yeah those are some pricey plugins ya got hahah :D

What about your mic/preamp you used on voxs? I love how clear everything is, I am trying to get better at mixing vocals, but I think the majority of my problems are with the gear im using heheh.

Ah yeah good ol' digi design long delay! I would love to check out your presets for the voxs! :D

As far as the guitar goes, I actually just loaded up Pod Farm (crazy eh?) And dialed in the California Diamond Amp, put a Boost/EQ pedal and compressor on the chain, and slapped a DQ1 Dynamic Equaliser on the master. And thats about it. I can also share presets if you would like. It didn't take too long to dial in a nice sound. Same with bass, except I used the studio head.

:headbang:

Cheers!

too bad i just formatted my HD and i have to reinstall all the plugins again :(

i will give this a try as soon as i can (but i dont think it would be better than dandelium´s :p)

Frankzappa:

wow dude your tone ROCKS all the f***** way!!!

please, I'd love you to tell me the effect chain or whatever you did to get that awesome guitar tone

in fact, have you done something to the rest of the mix?

I don't know if it's just me, but it sounds all a little better

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions! ;)

zildjianmatt:

....... hahahaha yeah mate !!... sure they are quite pricey plug ins ( :/ )

my girlfriend is going to slash my neck if I keep spending all my savings in this type of plug ins .... ahahhaha

anyway let me tell you that these plugin brands sometimes offer quite substantial discounts. that's indeed the way I got the URS Strip Pro and the McDSP ML4000, they were almost half price ,.... yeahhh!

bahh........*yes, they are a bit expensive anyway ;)

Look, the truth is that I do not have the Pod Farm thing, but just downloaded a trial version of the Line6 website, so I can test your idea tomorro maybe ;)

would be a great help if you send me please the preset

I have to check my plugins but I think the Sonalksis Equaliser is not on my list.

you can send me a screenshot if you want. so I can see what EQ you used.

in a moment I put you here the preset for the Digi Delay

indeed, as I did with frankzappa, I would ask if you've done something more to the rest of my mix. and what volume did you use for guitars 1 and 2?

thank you very much friend.....you rock!!

The-Zeronaut:

yeahhhhhhh .... what's up brotha '! ;)

I saw your comment on my other post ... hahah .... I too am glad to see more people from the islands around here :p

I shall be very happy if you make an effort with my mix when you update your plugins ;)))))

thank you very much, Mark!

I am glad that more people are being encouraged to participate with this post!

cheers everyone

ups......btw zildjianmatt,....forgot to tell you about the mic/preamp used

Vocals of this band I recorded them all with a Shure SM7B mic (A-WE-SO-ME!!!).......and then through an Apogee Duet

just that!!

I need to buy a compressor soon, I know!!!.......but for now is enough for me

let's see if I manage to save some money next year. I'd like to own a dbx 160A one of these days...haha......but you never know ;)

well, these are the presets for my vocal fx chain

EstudioBlost Fire Vocal Chain

enjoy