anyone here interested in helping me to improve this mix? ;))))

Frankzappa:

wow dude your tone ROCKS all the f***** way!!!

please, I'd love you to tell me the effect chain or whatever you did to get that awesome guitar tone

in fact, have you done something to the rest of the mix?

I don't know if it's just me, but it sounds all a little better

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions! ;)

Thanks mate, here is a new version with more high end: http://www.box.net/shared/1o1r8klmta

Drums: I boosted 4 dB or so at 4,71 kHz with a Q of 1,5. I used waves SSL EQ. Then I compressed them a bit to get a little more OOMMPH out of them, I used URS 1980 compressor (my favourite). Ratio 2,5:1, attack: 13ms, release: 51ms and threshold -11,5.

Bass: I did a lot with the bass, it sounds crap though so I don't want to explain anything :puke:

Guitars: TSE X30 amp sim (free), basically everything at 12 o clock except for the "high mid" where I had about 2:30 o clock. Input about 3 o clock, drive at 10:30. I used Guitarhacks impulses for 2 guitars and catharsis for the other 2.

Vocals: Boost of 2 dB or so at 3,1 kHz with a Q of 1,5 and a high shelf at 10 kHz or so with a boost of 4,2 dB. I used Waves SSL EQ again.

That's pretty much what I did.

ok FrankZappa....thanks a bunch for your tips

just three more things and I promise not to bother anymore ;)

1) did you set the volume of Guitar 2 lower than the Guitar 1? How many dbs?
2) mind to share the name of Guitarhack and Catharsis impulses? (this one isn't that important for me ok?,....no prob if you prefer not to tell me, I can try 'em all and set it to taste......but just to got it faster :p (I really like your tone)
3) did you worked on my "unmastered" tracks or the "mastered" ones?

that's all,..I appreciate you patience :DDDD

talk ya'

ok FrankZappa....thanks a bunch for your tips

just three more things and I promise not to bother anymore ;)

1) did you set the volume of Guitar 2 lower than the Guitar 1? How many dbs?
2) mind to share the name of Guitarhack and Catharsis impulses? (this one isn't that important for me ok?,....no prob if you prefer not to tell me, I can try 'em all and set it to taste......but just to got it faster :p (I really like your tone)
3) did you worked on my "unmastered" tracks or the "mastered" ones?

that's all,..I appreciate you patience :DDDD

talk ya'

Actually most of the tone is guitarhacks impulses mixed with some other impulses I think it's 4 impulses in total mixed in TH1 (cabsim) so it's 4 impulses in 1 guitar. It's impossible to explain. The other 2 are just catharsis impulse but they are mixed lower. Not that much lower, I thought the other 2 sounded better so I raised them a tad. Anyway just stick catharsis impulses on 2 guitars and some other good ones ot the other 2 with the TSE and you will be fine.

I used bass and guitar DI tracks and the unmastered vocals and drums.

@ ShallowEulogy!!!

wow man!!!....this is another attempt that leaves me amazed!!!

mind giving me some explanations on how you got that sound like this?

also did you use the unmastered version of my mix or the other? ;)

what can you tell me about volume on guitars 1 and 2? Are the guitars 2 at lower volume than the others? how many dbs?

thank you so much ShallowE. Your test kick asses dude :)

Wow, thanks for the kind words man! Appreciate it :)

By any change in the rest of the mix you mean if i did some post-processing? Yes i did and i'll explain here. I only used the Unmastered ones by the way.

Guitars are Onqel's TSE Plugin boosted by BTE. Impulses are 1on-preshigh on GTR1 and GuitarHack's Inch Off Edge Impulse on GTR2. The only post processing the guitars have is some EQ. The GTR 2 is 6 db's lower than GTR1.
Bass is a lot hehe, it was something like RComp->Guitar Rig 4->Ampeg SVX->KeFir->L2. RComp compressing the living shit out of it, using Lead800 (which is a JCM800 emulation) in GR4 as a boost going into Ampeg SVX, i think i used the SVT Classic one, can't recall the settings. Using KeFir with a Bright Beta52 Impulse, and L2 is at the end just to make it loud. Rendered it down and as post-process there is PSP Vintagewarmer.

As far as the drums go i only used GClip to make it louder, Vocals are RVox going into PSP Vintagewarmer.

Here are some screenshots for ya :)

Guitars

GTR%20BTE.jpg

GTR%20TSE.jpg

GTR%20REQ.jpg

And finally a mixer overview to compare the levels or whatever you like :)

Mixer.jpg

Hope this was helpfull to you :)

By the way the drums sound like there was some clipping involved. If your were simply trying to make it louder just remember to turn up the volume so you don't end up doing this kind of thing. Plus you need to include a bit more dynamic in your mixes in my opinion. For instance the example i shared as almost 4 db of rms gain between the start and the moment the singer hits the first scream. Anyways if i'm totally wrong here someone plz tell me..

@ allplaydead:

thanks a bunch for your attempt dude!!...your tone is good!!... ;)

I've been trying to achieve some good tones using your tips sneapers, and I hope to apply this to the whole guitar parts of the album today. let's see if everything fits well in the mix

@ AerialThesis:

Hi dude, what's up!! ;)

I like a lot your approach too!!

I do think you're completely right with the dynamics

The problem is that sometimes I think I'm short of ideas on the dynamics of the songs :cry:

and this is due to my lack of skills & knowledge in that aspect

to be honest, it is true that my mixes almost always suffer from the lack of a little more dynamic

What is your approach on this?

What do you think is the best way to get that bit more dynamic you suggest?

indeed, in the drums yes I used the Stillwell's Event Horizon to give a little more volume (limiter mode).

but hey, .. can I ask how can one realize that? What do you think is what made you think that the drums had some sort of clipper?

I'd like to know just for curiosity ;)

I'm so new to this I'm amazed with all that you discover behind a mix guys;)

thank you so much Aerial, I completely agree with you :)

and well, I suppose there are many things I do wrong way because I am completely self taught in this.......hahaha

but I hope to gradually improve with experience and of course, with the things I learn everyday in this forum

thank you guys

cheers :headbang:

Well first of all, your tonal balance between every instrument was great in my opinion. I kept adding the instruments one after the other and didn't felt like the instruments were interferring with each other that much. I simply took out some bass in the drums so the bass would really have that whole 70 hz range for it self. I took off some bass in the singers voice too and boosted the top part from 4 khz to 20 khz with a really wide parametric band set near 20 khz.

Then, for dynamics i haven't used any compressors except on a group i made with the bass and all the guitars on wich i added a compressor that worked in sidechain with the vocals and added another one with about the same setting that worked on with the bass section of your drum stem (Kick and bottom snare). Both were compressing by a maximum of 2 db at certain time. The rest was expanded with the expander portion of the RCompressor from Waves and the Protools basic expander. I even did some manual gain riding at the end on the whole mix to make the first punches sound awesome.

About the drums and limiting them, drums have sharp transients, so you can have a fast attack on your compressor, but too fast results in killing the transient + if your release is too fast, it results in clipping only a part of the transient and adding a clicky noise to it. I could definatly hear that sort of clicky sound in some transients of the drum and even on your bass. But this is metal, and a little distortion in the sound is acceptable since we tend to compress and limit like hell in this genre. Just keep in mind that you might not need to limit anything but certain peaks at the mix. Anyways if you still wish to limit the drums, try this tip: Duplicate your drum track, drag that duplicate track early in the time board of about 15 ms or less, then set the track to a bus, put a limiter on the original track that as a sidechain function, then sidechain your original track using the duplicate. The effect created here is that your peaks will get clipped a bit before they truely hit and there will be no clicky sound involved. Enjoy!

Anyways I wish you good luck dude, i rarely have the chance to work on stuff that sound as good as the tracks you gave. Again if i'm totally wrong on this long comment i hope someone can point it out. This is how i work, i just hope i'm on the right track too.

@ AerialThesis:

just wanted to say a big :

T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U

great lesson!!.....it's going to help me a lot........sure!!!

that's why I love this forum dude!

you guys are great!!! ;)

and thanks a bunch also for the kind words 'bout my tracks.......yeahhhhhhh!!!

good luck man..........talk ya'