Anyone here remember the band Skyclad?

Michael TEOF

Master Whorebot
Mar 4, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
www.myspace.com
I was just listening to some of their music again. They were easily one of the greatest metal bands of the '90s, with lots progressive rock and folk influence. It's a shame Martin Walkyier is no longer with them. They'd be so perfect for Prog Power... maybe do an accoustic preparty set or something.

NP: Skyclad - "Building a Ruin"

They'd be perfect if Glenn liked them =d Not saying he doesn't, just don't get the best vibes from him over folk metal.

And yes I love Skyclad. I think that Cruachan is better, but I love Skyclad. They'd still be fine though. They still play sorta.. I think. Martin has done some work with Elvenking though who should play at this fest!

They'd be perfect if Glenn liked them =d Not saying he doesn't, just don't get the best vibes from him over folk metal.

And yes I love Skyclad. I think that Cruachan is better, but I love Skyclad. They'd still be fine though. They still play sorta.. I think. Martin has done some work with Elvenking though who should play at this fest!

Skyclad did indeed have some good stuff as I recall. I've heard some of Cruachan's stuff too and I liked what I heard. Of course we could always have Moonsorrow....of course their set would be like 5 songs since many of them, especially the later ones (new CD is about 60 minutes long and has only TWO songs), are quite lengthy. In any case the notion of a folk metal band occupying one of the festival slots or even one of the showcase slots would not displease me at all. In fact someone like Korpiklaani would be fun to see live and would certainly provide the proper beer drinking music!!

Skyclad (Walkyier era) was all awesome, barring The Answer Machine? and Oui Avant Garde a Chance... too light for my tastes...

But every single one of their albums, even the ones I didn't like, had at least one excellent song, so while their style zigged and zagged, they were always good at what they were doing.

Martin Walkyier is one of the best lyricists to ever be involved in heavy metal. I have a feeling his voice will grate a bit on the stereotypical Progpower fan's ears though.

Irrational Anthems is my favorite, a good mix of stuff as it was a transitional album, and I do believe Prince of the Poverty Line is generally considered their best.

Yeah, they were awesome.. I haven't really heard much of the new stuff without Martin.. But the martin-era Skyclad was incredible.. Some great, great albuns... Probably the best lyrics in metal too.