Anyone interested in doing another COBOT "album"?

I could definitely do a full track minus vocals and bass (because I do not own one)

Joonas get off your lazy arse and just compose the thing in guitar pro surely you can do that.

I've been playing around with some ideas today in GP, it's my first time really doing this, so my mind is all over the place. This really fun nevertheless, hopefully I can compose something that fits the album. Are we going for a bodomish sound this time around or what? I think it would be cool to just have different styles.

I got the second album from Hewakas' link earlier in the thread (iPot, where are you? I want the rest too! :)) and it at least it is a mix of all kinds of metal. So basically there's no criteria for "What fits the album".

It's your first time doing what? Composing? It'll be interesting to hear what people come up with.

I could definitely do a full track minus vocals and bass (because I do not own one)

Don't you have any DAW you could do it with? That's how I do my drums, bass and orchestrations. I own 4 guitars (One acoustic), a violin, two pianos (They're my mom's strictly speaking), a violin and an accordion, but only ever record with one guitar. Everything else is done with VSTs.

Yeah, I have Ezdrummer for drums, I've never tried using bass with it. I use Reaper.

I can't produce the song in technical terms. But I can design a song in terms of structure and what instruments are included in what sections, and use adjectives to describe the feeling of each section. It's everyone's personal interpretation what each section would sound like in terms of notes. But if someone would like to do it we would see whether my ideas are good or if I should shut up about Bodom. Of course it's not easy to write enchanting music of any kind, but it's surprising what you could do with structure etc.

I can't produce the song in technical terms. But I can design a song in terms of structure and what instruments are included in what sections, and use adjectives to describe the feeling of each section. It's everyone's personal interpretation what each section would sound like in terms of notes. But if someone would like to do it we would see whether my ideas are good or if I should shut up about Bodom. Of course it's not easy to write enchanting music of any kind, but it's surprising what you could do with structure etc.

Go ahead. I can try to come up with something that hopefully matches your description at least partially. If it sounds awful I'll probably just forget about it, but if it ends up sounding decent we can put it on the album.

Go ahead. I can try to come up with something that hopefully matches your description at least partially. If it sounds awful I'll probably just forget about it, but if it ends up sounding decent we can put it on the album.

How about doing collaboration songs instead of individual songs? I came up with such structure:

0:00 –
slow doom beat intro, slow riff, grand piano transposed very low-pitch

0:15 –
increases to medium slow tempo, with atmospheric guitar solo, keyboard background choir descending from medium to low pitch

1:00 –
intense orchestral hit seizes moment, ultra fast bass, beat goes about 140bpm, technical guitar (riff 2) starts

1:05 –
ultra fast double bass

1:15 –
verse 1: low grand piano supporting riff 2, 140bpm

1:30 –
instrumental chorus melody, 200bpm

1:45 –
verse 2: riff 3, 140bpm

2:00 –
riff 2, ascending keyboard choir while beat increasing to 200bpm, whispering vocals

2:10 –
doom riff 1

2:15 –
dark electro keyboard, 50bpm doom section with intro riff as background for a dark and epic guitar solo

3:15 –
verse 3: guitar (riff 3), ending in orchestral hit

3:40 – 3:55
instrumental chorus melody again for outro

This should be with black metal vocals, if any. Not exactly sure about how many bpm should be and the time gaps, just imagined from my head. It has two slow sections with slow atmospheric solo, some black metalish parts, and an instrumental chorus. (I'd personally like to do music with one doom metal guitar, one echoing lead guitar, and industrial keyboard elements - this is not intended to be 100% Bodom.)

The whole thing includes:
3 guitar riffs
2 solos
1 chorus melody
1 keyboard choir
1 dark electro keyboard section
5 drum patterns

We could share one for each, then glue them together and see what comes out...

Might post a demo later tonight, it will only be guitars, just trying to write what I think Bodom would do :D

I've listened to them all, I like Mitch'um bach terror the most.

I would like to cooperate but my composing skills suck, I never know how to start or how to know if a riff is good etc + im not good with layering instruments, i never know what fits or what would be cool etc.

I would like to cooperate but my composing skills suck, I never know how to start or how to know if a riff is good etc + im not good with layering instruments, i never know what fits or what would be cool etc.

Try making something, we can try to help. If you run into problems with putting chords behind a melody I know I can help.

I'm happy to record Bass and/or Guitar for anyone that needs it. Used to have drum and keyboard VST's but my hard drive crashed a few years ago & I lost the software and plugins. If anyone can help me out with converting both MIDI keyboard and drums to .WAV files that would be appreciated. I have my own physical keyboard as well as a MIDI to USB cord but I write nearly all my stuff in Guitar Pro so it would be easier to just send the MIDI files to someone that can help me out.

You have them somewhere? Can you upload a link?

Haha wow you've almost done a song already? Mr productive. I had to drop my friend off at the airport yesterday so it's gonna be at least a week until I get anything ready let alone record.

Not done. Intro and first solo are done. I'm usually very slow at producing an entire song, but I can get short pieces together very fast. Occasionally I get a song together in a single day, but usually I tend to keep on editing it for a few years before letting it be. Some songs get done up until the first verse and get stuck there. That's where this one is at the moment.

I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out (What I've done so far). It's not an exact copy of what Joonas said in his instructions, but its quite close and sounds good to me.

Not done. Intro and first solo are done. I'm usually very slow at producing an entire song, but I can get short pieces together very fast.

I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out (What I've done so far). It's not an exact copy of what Joonas said in his instructions, but its quite close and sounds good to me.

Should be interesting to hear as Joonas' ideas seemed a fair bit all over the shop especially with all the BPM changes. One of the songs I was planning on doing is more in the style of Sinergy than COB.

Would be good to collaborate with anyone on a song as although I mainly play metal on guitar I'm not the best at composing it because it usually tends to sound more like melodic punk than metal :p

Yeah just imagine for the soundworld One Day You Will Cry by COB, Eraser by Hypocrisy, and some dark electro, I intend stuff to sound mysterious, dark, doomy and with a sense of industrial elements. Funny thing is, even with said examples to orientate the direction and feeling, and the full structure, everyone's interpretation would probably be quite different. :D

I guess I could try doing the chorus melody.

I got the second album from Hewakas' link earlier in the thread (iPot, where are you? I want the rest too! :)) and it at least it is a mix of all kinds of metal. So basically there's no criteria for "What fits the album".

It's your first time doing what? Composing? It'll be interesting to hear what people come up with.

Yeah it's my first time. I just asked because I got these cheery major passages in my project, dunno how they got there, it just happened :D

Yes this will be very interesting!

Yeah it's my first time. I just asked because I got these cheery major passages in my project, dunno how they got there, it just happened :D

Yes this will be very interesting!

Just because this is a metal forum doesn't mean every single song should have to be heavy- the main point should be to have fun/ collaborate on stuff and share your work ;)