Anyone interested in doing another COBOT "album"?

Yeah it's my first time. I just asked because I got these cheery major passages in my project, dunno how they got there, it just happened :D

Yes this will be very interesting!

Doesn't matter. I have a few melodies (Well, only one has been included in a song thus far) going in a major scale in my songs, though not in the one I'm doing according to Joonas' instructions. Tends to sound awesome when you have a melody first in, say E major, and then after a while you switch it into E minor. It only works for some melodies though, as the chords get fucked up quite often. I don't want any X minor b5 chords in there. Too dissonant for heavy distortion (Although there's plenty of them in my most recent song, so perhaps I'm growing more tolerant of experimenting with strange chords etc. which result in dissonance).

Just got the verse riff down in Joonas' vision.

Just because this is a metal forum doesn't mean every single song should have to be heavy- the main point should be to have fun/ collaborate on stuff and share your work ;)

I'm definitely having fun, I should've start composing sooner. It feels like discovering music again, starting from square one :)

Should be interesting to hear as Joonas' ideas seemed a fair bit all over the shop especially with all the BPM changes. One of the songs I was planning on doing is more in the style of Sinergy than COB.

Would be good to collaborate with anyone on a song as although I mainly play metal on guitar I'm not the best at composing it because it usually tends to sound more like melodic punk than metal :p

The BPM changes are a bit difficult to implement but I'll try to do it. At least they give an indication of whether it was meant to be fast or slow so even if I don't change the BPM I can use that knowledge to compose a riff/melody that's at least somewhat in the right direction.

I'm definitely having fun, I should've start composing sooner. It feels like discovering music again, starting from square one :)

:D I made my first (Well kind of first. Around 2-3 years before starting playing I founded a band with a friend who had drums (He didn't go to lessons either) and we began making a song. I made a riff that was a total rip off of Smoke on the Water, and a melody after that which was some bend practice pattern from Rockway. We didn't get further than that and the band was forgotten) riff and melody within an hour of returning from my first guitar lesson. Still remember them both (I also remember the SotW rip off riff from the pre-guitar lessons time. Not the melody though).

Yeah just imagine for the soundworld One Day You Will Cry by COB, Eraser by Hypocrisy, and some dark electro, I intend stuff to sound mysterious, dark, doomy and with a sense of industrial elements. Funny thing is, even with said examples to orientate the direction and feeling, and the full structure, everyone's interpretation would probably be quite different. :D

I guess I could try doing the chorus melody.

Go ahead. That's next up in the song. Make it in GP and I can record it down into the song.

Doesn't matter. I have a few melodies (Well, only one has been included in a song thus far) going in a major scale in my songs, though not in the one I'm doing according to Joonas' instructions. Tends to sound awesome when you have a melody first in, say E major, and then after a while you switch it into E minor. It only works for some melodies though, as the chords get fucked up quite often. I don't want any X minor b5 chords in there. Too dissonant for heavy distortion (Although there's plenty of them in my most recent song, so perhaps I'm growing more tolerant of experimenting with strange chords etc. which result in dissonance).

Just got the verse riff down in Joonas' vision.

Nice. Yeah definitely playing around with the minor/major a la beatles. I'm using Cm, C/Am for my song so far.

I'm not at home now, I can always try something in the evening, but there's many ready musicians here... I'm thinking of a chorus melody that's like falling straight into the abyss but in extasy over the fact life is ending. This atmosphere. Use as much echo as you can summon... I'm trying to give some examples but my connection sucks.

I had many examples in mind, but maybe this is closest for the chorus I had in mind: 1:00 -

Depends... maybe some keyboard chords like this: 1:26 -

There's many ways to make an epic chorus, guitar / keyboard leads, chords...

Maybe something like this: 0:11 -

You get the impression...

Last edited by a moderator:
I came up with some melody notes, maybe you can use this section in one of the solos as slower section, or make something out of it. 8 notes, that's my contribution.

http://youtu.be/bF9oFapPQ4I

It should fit there somewhere. I'll continue with the song tomorrow most likely, don't know whether I get to a part where your melody fits well but we'll see.

Here's a demo for you guys as Matt seems to have forgotten his: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tuzqkwnpvson3t/COBOT II.mp3?dl=0 (If it asks you to sign in before downloading, you should be able to cross out the window like you would any window in windows, or there might be a "Download without signing in" button at the bottom of the sign in box)

I'd be up for this again if it goes ahead. I saw the thread in OT a few years back but it never took off, I've just sorted a new computer so hopefully have all my old files but still need to reinstall Cool Edit Pro2 and a few other bits so might take me a while to get going but I have tonnes of random 20 bar riffs I could probably finish off or something, although I haven't played guitar longer than an hour for a good few years now haha! Might have to skip the solo.

Plus I'm racing motorbikes nowadays and have some body work prep to do before Oct 8th so some time may be taken up with that but probably at the weekends so could have a go at this on the weekdays.

Wow, a ghost! Long time no see Mitch!
Btw dibs on that Jackson Stars if you'll ever sell it.

I'm in if somebody needs help with rythm guitars or (guest) solo(s). But I'm not composing a song for my self. These days I have to much other things to do...
Would be cool if MrMan would also join, because he's probably the best guitar player I've ever seen in this forum.

Wow, a ghost! Long time no see Mitch!
Btw dibs on that Jackson Stars if you'll ever sell it.

I've been tempted to put it on eBay as bidding with a reserve of £20,000 just to see how much people are prepared to pay, although it's priceless to me as I know I couldn't ever replace it!

I'm in if somebody needs help with rythm guitars or (guest) solo(s). But I'm not composing a song for my self. These days I have to much other things to do...
Would be cool if MrMan would also join, because he's probably the best guitar player I've ever seen in this forum.

Make another of the two solos for the song I laid structure for, I think Esa is working on it. :D

Yeah well I can't contribute any more...

Ultimately the feeling in the music matters 95% more than song construction or other things. A good rhythm can make a boring solo forgivable, or vice versa, and a good feeling can make boring pattern forgivable. But to be epic all that needs to be there more or less.

I like honey very much, it's like making love, especially when I come from a long walk in the woods and am hungry as fuck.

Make another of the two solos for the song I laid structure for, I think Esa is working on it. :D

I will only do a solo when I have a complete rythm line under it.

I was actually planning on this. My ability to play solos is somewhat limited, so if Arcane can play it it'll probably turn out way better than what I could do. Any wishes on what kind of a backing track you want for it? I'm still working on a fast and epic chorus but once I get to doing the backing stuff for the solo I'll have some idea of what to do. Chord progression/s or riffs? How long?