Anyone listened to DragonForce's Ultra Beatdown yet????

I won't "crap on" Dragonforce, but seeing as their previous work bored me to tears, I see no need to give this new one a chance. Personally, I wouldn't dislike a band just because they haven't progressed in their sound or music. Hell AC/DC has released the same album over and over, but they still kick ass. I don't think the point is lost. Just that if I didn't like the previous Dragonforce stuff, why would I listen to the new one?

You could say that about numerous other bands here that people love and have played the fest.

Stratovarious comes to mind right away.

Must be why I was never a Strato fan or a Sonata fan for that fact.

I dont mind bands that have similiar songs as I am all for "hey if it works why change" but I'm sorry Dragonforce IMO has nothing to offer my ears. Its just the same fucking thing.....when I cant tell one melody from another or one riff from another something is wrong.

Funny someone mentioned AC/DC, I was telling a friend of mine that Dragonforce are the AC/DC of power/speed metal haha. As for AC/DC I dont care for them either.

On an unrelated note, the new FREQUENCY CD is KILLER! You can see my review here....

http://www.themetalmadman.com/review/frequency.html

Yep.

Power metal isn't a genre that comes to mind when I think about "progressing your sound."

Hell, even some non-power metal bands, like Amon Amarth, do the same thing album after album. But they still kick so much ass.

Agreed, but I can still think of a few examples of Power Metal bands who were able to "progress" music-wise. Sure, some of them could now be considered Power/Progressive, but nevertheless are "power metal bands" or at least used to be.

Look at Kamelot and Sonata Arctica for instance (especially with Unia). Blind Guardian also comes to mind, considering the last two releases.

Other bands simply seem to regress... :lol: look at Rhapsody... (of Fire!)

Agreed, but I can still think of a few examples of Power Metal bands who were able to "progress" music-wise. Sure, some of them could now be considered Power/Progressive, but nevertheless are "power metal bands" or at least used to be.

Look at Kamelot and Sonata Arctica for instance (especially with Unia).

True. But also consider how both Unia and Ghost Opera have been received in comparison to the rest of their respective catalogs. Those two albums have taken their share of harsh criticism on this forum, as well as numerous other forums on UM. Just a thought.

Look at Kamelot and Sonata Arctica for instance (especially with Unia). Blind Guardian also comes to mind, considering the last two releases.

Other bands simply seem to regress... :lol: look at Rhapsody... (of Fire!)

First DragonForce now Rhapsody!? :devil:

not trying to hijack this thread, but just wondering, in your opinion, how is the new Frequency in comparison to their 2006 release When Dream and Fate Collide? I can't access your review from work...

No worries on that my friend, just wanted opinions on the new album and thoughts of individuals on other things that come up, because a thread starts out as one thing then goes aboot a million other directions.

True. But also consider how both Unia and Ghost Opera have been received in comparison to the rest of their respective catalogs. Those two albums have taken their share of harsh criticism on this forum, as well as numerous other forums on UM. Just a thought.

Very well thought, I agree with you. However, on the Kamelot case, I had in mind The Black Halo first and then Ghost Opera as a continuation of this new approach to their music.

Then again, I remember a lot of people criticizing Reckoning Night when that came out, and it's not like it was too too different from their previous material. In that album though, Sonata did flirt with some newer influences, but nothing too "drastic"...

Yea, I know, right?:cool: I am hoping that IE will be announcing their Fall tour dates soon! Can't wait to see 'em again! When's their new CD due out?

Me too!! Comes out in the USA on Sep. 2nd.

I honestly can't wait to hear the new disc and see the new stuff played live. I just hope Stu is taking good care of himself to make up for the "off-night" he had last time I saw them. First time I was disappointed in 17 Into Eternity concerts I've seen. (I'm not exaggerating)

I honestly can't wait to hear the new disc and see the new stuff played live. I just hope Stu is taking good care of himself to make up for the "off-night" he had last time I saw them. First time I was disappointed in 17 Into Eternity concerts I've seen. (I'm not exaggerating)

QFT

I thought they did very well in ATL this last tour. Can't wait to see 'em again and to hear their new CD!:headbang::worship:

jeez 17 times, I wish i could see them 5+ but I havent been that lucky. Only time I saw them I was at the Dream Theater show, which sucked with seating =/

not trying to hijack this thread, but just wondering, in your opinion, how is the new Frequency in comparison to their 2006 release When Dream and Fate Collide? I can't access your review from work...

Its a completely different breed. The new one destroys the debut. The new vocals is the biggest change.