Anyone Notice the Digital Cameras?

I had my (film) camera in my purse Thursday night, but after seeing the "no cameras of any kind" sign, I never took it out. I was just happy not to have to go back to the hotel to put it away. To me, no camera means no camera...guess it's just too much of a temptation for some people.

I never saw that sign. I had my film camera with me all weekend (except at the after parties - oops). I thought it was just digital cameras that were no no's. Hope I didn't become a rule breaker, truly didn't mean to if I did.

I just assumed anyone with a camera was allowed to have one. Period. I don't see why it bothers so many people if they're not taping, but maybe I am missing something.

I think it's more of a rule thing. Some people are purposely breaking the rules and it kind of sucks for those that follow them. I'd love to bring my digital camera and get some of my own shots of the bands. They're far better to use if taking pictures with the bands during the signing too. But I respect Glenn's rules that some people don't think apply to them or don't give a shit about.

I noticed that an iPhone held sideways for a shot looks exactly like a digidtal camera from behind. Phone cameras will soon be the same quality as digital cameras. What happens then? Also, things like this will definately make bootlegging harder to stop.

I think it's more of a rule thing. Some people are purposely breaking the rules and it kind of sucks for those that follow them. I'd love to bring my digital camera and get some of my own shots of the bands. They're far better to use if taking pictures with the bands during the signing too. But I respect Glenn's rules that some people don't think apply to them or don't give a shit about.

But my point is... why just assume that these folks are all breaking the rules? When Glenn (or the bands) complains, then it's a problem. until then, I just don't understand why everyone jumps to that conclusion.

S

But my point is... why just assume that these folks are all breaking the rules? When Glenn (or the bands) complains, then it's a problem. until then, I just don't understand why everyone jumps to that conclusion.

S

When they don't have a VIP pass around their neck they are likely breaking the rules.

Honey, I don't wear my stuff around my neck. I always keep my badges in my purse or pocket, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. At least one person I know did not have a badge on but had a camera that was allowed. Maybe you are right; I just think it's odd to get so worked up when it's all just an assumption.

I never saw that sign. I had my film camera with me all weekend (except at the after parties - oops). I thought it was just digital cameras that were no no's. Hope I didn't become a rule breaker, truly didn't mean to if I did.

The only night that NO cameras of any kind were allowed was Thursday. Fri-Sat it was film cameras or digi's if you had a pass. I think they forgot to take a couple of the signs down from Thursday night is all.

Honey, I don't wear my stuff around my neck. I always keep my badges in my purse or pocket, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. At least one person I know did not have a badge on but had a camera that was allowed.

I know several people that don't wear their VIP badge around their neck as well. The reason I wear mine is a fear of losing it out of my pocket.

I do have to laugh at this whole debate...I was wondering how long it would take a thread to show up about it...we have the same conversation about it every year. :lol:

A lot of the digital "cameras" were cellphones though there were some people I saw with digital cameras. I wasn't sure who to go to since no one was really around besides the security guys who in the past have done nothing. Go hunt someone down and miss part of the set I wanted to see? I decided if I saw anyone obviously videotaping I'd report them but any I saw weren't held up for extended periods of time (I missed Iron Savior where apparently someone was caught taping).

it was after they sang 'breaking the law'...........classic timing...

So do I, but I guess rules are rules, even if I think that they are a bit silly. :erk: Too bad that the rules don't seem to apply to everyone, tho.Jason

It would be easier to enforce the no digital camera rule by:

1. Prohibiting all bags, backpacks, and purses larger than watermellons.
2. Full pat-down search.
3. No re-entry (so all 1200 people can't reenter three times during each night which equates to 3600 people going through the in door to be checked every night).

So how would you feel about enacting those rules to further attempt to stop 100% of digital cameras from entering the venue on patrons who are not VIPs? Would you be willing to trade the above freedoms so that a few people don't feel treated differently because a few people (not including the VIPs) were able to get a digital camera into the venue?

The whole reason digital cameras were banned was because of their capability to capture high-quality video, not still photos. That is why film cameras (with or without flash) are still allowed.

Glenn reviews the camera policy every year and will do so again for X.

For some reason it seems like I saw a slew of digital cameras at the show this year that I didn't see the past two years. Every time I turned around I saw someone in the pit or bleachers with a digital camera taking photos.

I saw a large group of people speaking Spanish that had digital cameras during the Hellish Rock show.

I didn't bother reporting anyone because there were so many cameras. I know Glenn is trying to break down on bootleggers, but I don't know what can be done to solve the problem. By the time you squeeze out and find security there is a slim chance you'll be able to get back in and find your bootlegger. Also, you can only give away so many VIP passes for people who reported bootleggers.

On a side note phones are now getting to where they take pictures and videos that surpass digital camera quality from a few years ago.

Thank you! I did too. In fact I was standing right behind them for about half the Manticora set until I asked if I could scoot up front so I could actually SEE Gamma Ray. Of course, that just made me cranky anyway since I was a well-behaved concert attendee and sent my film camera back to the hotel so I wouldn't get yelled at since the sign on the Center Stage door said no cameras at the request of the Helloween/Gamma Ray tour management... of course, then the guards didn't care apparently... *grumble*

Oh well. It was still a badass show.