Anyone Own any AEA?

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
I'm curious if anyone here owns any AEA mics, specifically any of the 44 series. I'm seriously considering getting an R44CE. Main uses would probably be acoustic guitar and vocals. This is just to add to the mic locker, it's not really filling any void.

Also curious if anyone owns an RPQ preamp, and if you've used it with any ribbons. Unlike most preamps, the RPQ has a 10kohm impedance form what I understand. It's tempting to spring for the RPQ if I get the 44.

i own two AEA RPQ500 series stuff and they are fucking incredible sounding. cleanest pre i've ever used and the highself eq on it is very very very veeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrry magical. i've not had any experience with their mics though. i'd probably go for a coles or royer though.

Ive used a lot of AEA mics over the years. They are all great but if you are looking for a versatile one, I would suggest the R84. Sounds great on about everything that I put it on. Really great drum room mics, vocals, etc. never put it on on a guitar cab but im sure its great. As for the pres, they never really blew my mind. good sounding clean gain but, in my opinion, there are a lot of other pres that do a better job with ribbons and are just as clean.