Anyone still using a Rockmaster preamp?

HCL

Holy Crap! Lions!
Jul 13, 2010
Plymouth, UK
Seen a few threads from last decade when I searched this place, just wondering if anyone still has any kicking around + your thoughts on the sound?

I have one.

I recently got the 5150 III 50w that everyone raves about. It's nice but I like the Peavey RockMaster more for some things.

It's more brutal, thicker and has active EQ controls, can be very flexible. Both drive channels have silly amounts of gain available. And the clean is actually nice.

The 5153 "screams" and you can hear a bit of the modded Marshall / Soldano DNA in it and the RockMaster sound is more of a "throaty grunt" and not as refined.

If that makes sense.

Same, using it for practice. I'm running a Hardwire CM-2 overdrive into the crunch channel with knob pulled. Versatile setup, and sounds better than the Rockmaster alone.

Both drive channels have silly amounts of gain available. And the clean is actually nice.
Both statements are very true. My main rig is a Rockmaster into Classic 60/60 power amp. I used to have my gain up a little more, but lately I've been using the ultra channel w/gain pulled at a hair under 4 and sometimes boost with an SD-1. Also, I have a sniper-mod GE-7 in the loop that boosts a tiny bit and is always on for the crunch and ultra channels(gotta love all those effects loop options).