Anyone tried a Randall Isolation Cabinet`?

RiF

Dec 29, 2007
Germany
www.planet-goth.de
There's a Randall Iso Cab on eBay (ends in 7 hours) and it comes from my town. Does anybody had any experiences (good or bad) with the Randall Iso Cab? Mainly I am interested how the sound can stand up to a real 4x12 cabinet. I am not very much interested in the loudness reduction but more in the sound.

There's a Randall Iso Cab on eBay (ends in 7 hours) and it comes from my town. Does anybody had any experiences (good or bad) with the Randall Iso Cab? Mainly I am interested how the sound can stand up to a real 4x12 cabinet. I am not very much interested in the loudness reduction but more in the sound.

Yup I own one. Good: you can crank up the volume to get that overdriven tube tone, but it will still be loud like a TV being on, you have to get a mic stand that will fit inside to put your mic on, don't use the setup that randall says is fine. Bad: there is point where you shouldn't get any louder because of the resonance factor, and I think the tone suffers a bit without the "Air" being pushed in such a small area.

Here are 2 songs i recorded with that setup. the amps are a Hughes and Kettner triamp mkII on the first song, and the 2nd song is a Triaxis + a 20/20 power amp. SM57 on the first song and a 421D on the second song.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7016568

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7016542

nevermind the meh playing and I need to mix them better....

I especially like Wings of Doom! The guitars sound good, but a bit boxy to me. BTW: Did you pan them hard left and right (Wings of Doom doesn't sound like hard panned)?

I have owned it. There is only one good thing 'bout it, you can record some stuff at home, but in any case it's not really quite. But I don't have it anymore, 'cause it's impossible to get from it really pro tone, it's really-really boxy sounding. If you wanna track some demo maybe it's not bad or if you wanna use it for 'live' maybe it's not bad too but in my case it's not for professional recording for sure.
Try it for yourself, maybe it will work for you.

I'd much rather run an amp head's preamp into an impulse of a 4x12 than try to deal with mic'ing an iso cab personally!

i always pan 95 L and R.

your ears find it odd, and uncomfortable when one side hears sound, and the other hears nothing (this only really applies on headphones. however, most of mixes get listened to by me, on my headphones, at least!)

overall mixes are hardly noticeably affected with 95 L R panning, instead of a hard panning.

but when it comes to a section with 1 guitar, your ears will thank you :)

thanks,

i always pan 95 L and R.

your ears find it odd, and uncomfortable when one side hears sound, and the other hears nothing (this only really applies on headphones. however, most of mixes get listened to by me, on my headphones, at least!)

overall mixes are hardly noticeably affected with 95 L R panning, instead of a hard panning.

but when it comes to a section with 1 guitar, your ears will thank you :)

thanks,

so pan it in on the sections with one gtr maybe...

why do people do this?

yuck! :puke:

HARD PAN ALL THE WAY!

I thought that until listening to my mix in a car where you are sitting next to one speaker. It sounds weak. Some locations (such aas bars etc) the stereo field is so wide (one side pool table, the other side the smoking area) that hard panned guitars sound like an unfinished song in these environments.

I thought that until listening to my mix in a car where you are sitting next to one speaker. It sounds weak. Some locations (such aas bars etc) the stereo field is so wide (one side pool table, the other side the smoking area) that hard panned guitars sound like an unfinished song in these environments.

how well can you really hear the music anyway in those environments? I don't think mixing with the idea of how it'll sound at the pub is really the best way of approaching it either ;)

I am using one now. I mic'd the speaker (v30) really good, hit it with a decent mic pre. I'm playing a Mesa Rectifier with the tube screamer. I can not get it to sound pro at all! I use my 4x12 with v30's it kills! And that thing is really loud!

why do people do this?

yuck! :puke:

HARD PAN ALL THE WAY!
For sure Hard pan but really, you use pods (sometimes real amps/pods hybrid) have you ever tried the Andy Sneap approach double tracking guitars first group hard second left and right 80. You might be one of my inspirations (Jason S,Fredrik Nordstrom) as far as this years new cds ( Zombie ep, New Era of Corruption ,"insert really long album name here...yeah you know the one") but you do things with such a weird approach to everything.