Anyone using Yamaha NS-10 monitors?

I love the way things translate through them, but damn, somehow they just rape my ears. Mind that I'm never working on loud levels, I'm a silent mixer. Can't bare more then an hour or two, then I'm totally fucked up as if after an intense gig (luckily, an experience long forgotten). So I fear, NS-10's are not for me. Loving Yamahas MSP7 though. They work perfect for me and translate even better then NS-10.

Mikaël-ange;10473821 said:
Mogami W3103 2cond

Thanks!

Anyone else using the fuse mod?

I have heard it can mess with the top end a little, but I have never ran mine without the fuse personally. With my luck, if i tried it without I would blow a tweeter or something.

I don't want to get into an argument, but I wouldn't stress over speaker cable or with/without a fuse for speakers that are known to sound unpleasant anyway. Fusing your speakers is a great idea and most active speakers have integral fuses anyway. a fuse is much cheaper than a new driver.

i used to deal with audiophiles and hifi tube gear, shit gets way too ridiculous. stop worrying and focus on creating a solid mix!

I don't want to get into an argument, but I wouldn't stress over speaker cable or with/without a fuse for speakers that are known to sound unpleasant anyway. Fusing your speakers is a great idea and most active speakers have integral fuses anyway. a fuse is much cheaper than a new driver.

i used to deal with audiophiles and hifi tube gear, shit gets way too ridiculous. stop worrying and focus on creating a solid mix!

I need to spend money! Leave me alone. :D

Thanks!

Anyone else using the fuse mod?

I have heard it can mess with the top end a little, but I have never ran mine without the fuse personally. With my luck, if i tried it without I would blow a tweeter or something.

Fuse change sound with ns10.
And if you have powerful amp (200w per side) no way you can blow tweeter.
You will blow tweeter if you run out of headroom, amp distort and a speaker can't reproduce a distorted waveform... So you know what happen.
In every studio I had the pleasure to be I never saw fuse on ns10... That tell you something...

I just put the fuses on the + cable. I've not blown a fuse yet, but I am pretty low volume on the NS-10 usually. Just a safety thing really.

NS10s makes you work harder to get a good sound because of how sensitive the mids are.
It's a uninteresting speaker that is hard to get the music to sound good and "full".
Once you make the mix sound in the NS10s speakers like in big fullrange speakers you're done with the mix. :D

I use a pair of Aragon Palladium 1K monoblocks. 400w at 8Ω each. Since the NS10s are about 6Ω it should be about 500-600w for each NS10!! :devil:

NS10s makes you work harder to get a good sound because of how sensitive the mids are.
It's a uninteresting speaker that is hard to get the music to sound good and "full".
Once you make the mix sound in the NS10s speakers like in big fullrange speakers you're done with the mix. :D

Amen to that. I don't own any NS-10 myself but I find them useful when I'm working in a studio that has them. Always a bit odd also to see when people feel to see the point with the narrowed frequency response, like I've seen some describe HS80M as similar to NS-10 (which is quite off to begin with) with extended low-end. That'd be a perfect reason to NOT buy them.

As a side note, often when I work with FOH (which I do a lot nowadays) I'll high-pass the sound through the PA during soundcheck to better hear what's going on in the midrange, then drop it back in to check how it all glues together.