Anyone using Yamaha NS-10 monitors?

rebelready

Heavy Metal Member
Sep 30, 2012
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and have been interested in recording and music production. I was just wondering if anyone on this forum uses NS-10s, what you like about them, and how they compare to most other monitors for rock/metal productions. From what I've read, they seem to be praised, but also hated.

UPDATE: Thank you all for your insightful, helpful comments!

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and have been interested in recording and music production. I was just wondering if anyone on this forum uses NS-10s, what you like about them, and how they compare to most other monitors for rock/metal productions. From what I've read, they seem to be praised, but also hated.

I'm a avid Ns10 user. I have owned several pairs of monitors (including the hs80m's) and for me nothing compares to the Ns10's. They are their own beast and it's a love hate thing for sure. They honestly sound like shit though and if you compare them to a expensive monitor it would make you chuckle how bad they sound. It just comes down to me knowing them the best so that's why i keep using them personally.

It's kinda like using Protools for years and then making the switch to Cubase. While Cubase might be kick ass, your probably still going to work better on Protools.

Yup. I switch between ns-10's and Genelec 1031's at the studio. The ns10's are harsh as fuck and I don't like to listen to them all day, but I do love to flip over to them for a bit while getting sounds to search and destroy harsh crappiness. They can be quite helpful, but I've also met several very successful engineers who hate them with a passion.

I am using them alongside a pair of KRK V8s. Start the mix on the V8 and once I think it sounds good switch to the NS 10 and start all over again, haha....no seriously, there is nothing better to set your levels than NS 10s. They tell you in a heartbeat how your kik/snare, vocals are sitting. Their transient response is just brutal. I don't EQ much on them but for setting levels, automation they are godsend. I don't think they sound that bad as well. Just really, really forward sounding.

They seem to provide information about your mix that not many other speakers can provide. With a good amp and some time with them it's like many say if they sound good on NS-10's they'll sound good on anything.

There's many engineers who won't complete a mix w/o them.

That being said there are two different types. The first were the vertical type meant for hi-fi systems. These are the ones people use to put tissue paper on to tame the highs. But later Yamaha released the NS-10ms 's' for studio. And they are meant to be placed horizontally and as I understand it the tweeter was changed to make the highs a little less harsh.

I got em. Wish i bought them years ago. Superb mixing monitors. The bass/guitar relation is very easy to mix together because the highbass lowmids are crystal clear. I don't think they sound bad, i like the midforward sound. I just think they are super easy to mix on and my mixes are definitely sounding better then ever since i made the switch.

I switch between NS-10s and Event Opals. In my experience, the NS-10s sound pretty unexciting, UNTIL you get to the point that the mix is starting to come together, and then they start to sound punchy if you're doing a good job mixing. There's no low end really, so it's just midrange punch, but mixes start really vibing for me when they're getting close. I've never tried to mix exclusively on them, although that would be an interesting exercise.

Questions three:
What amp do you guys use?
Where do you get them? I've only seen them for a gizillion bucks on ebay.
Is there a suitable clone out there?

I switch between NS-10s and Event Opals. In my experience, the NS-10s sound pretty unexciting, UNTIL you get to the point that the mix is starting to come together, and then they start to sound punchy if you're doing a good job mixing.

+1.
Also it's scary how different the unfinished mix sounds on the KRK vs the NS10. Strangely if the mix is good and balanced . switching between the KRKs and the NS10 there is no big difference.
I am using a NAD Hifi Amp with my pair. Seems an ok match.

Questions three:
What amp do you guys use?
Where do you get them? I've only seen them for a gizillion bucks on ebay.
Is there a suitable clone out there?

Bryston 4B, Yamaha P2201 are most common suspect here.
Old Perreaux amp work great too if you have ns10 M (original with first tweeter design and hole for cover), better than 4B with those since Bryston tend to sound harsh with first ns10. If you get the ns10m studio no worry 4B work great. ;)

What I dying to try for ns10 are: Paladium amp and the B&W amp line (can't remember the name)

I've used Alesis M1 MkII's, Behringer Truth B3031A's, Tannoy Reveals, 2 sets of KRK Rockit's... I could keep going.

NOTHING sounds like a NS-10! I can see why people hate the sound, but my mixes always turn out great mixing through them BECAUSE they sound... the way they sound haha.

Make a thread about it if you do. I have some cheap amp with mine and would be really interesting to hear someones opinion which isn't from some hyped GS thread.

Why don't go to Bohus studio with your ns10 and ask Lindell for a demo with his new line of power amp?
Sound like a good way to combine gearslutz and real life situation at the same time no?:D

Sorry Christian, I have to do it:lol:

Make a thread about it if you do. I have some cheap amp with mine and would be really interesting to hear someones opinion which isn't from some hyped GS thread.

My new plan is to snag a few different power amps and then run some test, then sell the others i don't use for the same price i paid. I will defiantly make a thread about it to share my thoughts.

What are you guys using for speaker wire?

I bought some cheap radio shack cable, I feel like i should be using some better cable, but i'm not sure what to buy exactly.