NS-10 problem...

Aaron Smith

Envisage Audio
Feb 10, 2006
Seattle, WA
Alright, so I got my NS-10s a few weeks ago and haven't had a chance to try them until today, until my power amp showed up. I got an older Crown D-75. I also just got a Presonus Central Station and hooked it all up today, with my KRK RP-8s as monitor out "A" and the NS-10s as monitor out "B".
The RP-8s sound the same as ever, no issues at all. I switched to the NS-10s, and even though I've never used NS-10s before, I knew they weren't supposed to sound like THAT. The woofers sound fine, but basically, I quickly realized that the tweeters weren't working at all. And I don't mean that they sound broken and are attempting to produce high frequencies or anything...I mean, they are completely silent. I sent a message to the guy I bought them from, asking if there might be any chance that the tweeters were disconnected for some reason, and he said that there is no possible way that they are disconnected, and that the monitors have always worked great for him, with many different amps. I'm going to hook the monitors up to a radio receiver or something to verify that the tweeters do in fact work...but assuming that the NS-10s are completely fine, why else might I be getting no signal to the tweeters? The most likely culprit would be the power amp, but I really don't know power amps that well to say "Oh, I know what's happening"...so I'm hoping that someone here may be able to offer me some insight. Is it possible that there is some fuse blown in the power amp, that's responsible for high frequencies? ...I really have no idea!

As the NS10s are passive if the drivers are working its not a problem with the amplifier. I doubt you would have a low pass filter on anywhere at all so it can only be one of 2 things. Either the internal crossover or the tweeters themselves. Theyre not the most durable tweekers made. Can you take them out at all and get a multimeter and meter accross them for continuity? I got my meter for about £5 and basically you attach it to the terminals on the tweeker and see if any signal is getting through.

It would be very strange if both of them broke in transit. Id guess the guy you bought them from maybe being economical with the truth. By this I mean the tweaters were fucked when he sent them and he knew it.

It would be very strange if both of them broke in transit

Actually...the guy basically put them in a box and packed them in tight with a bunch of whole newspapers, uncrumpled I mean, so it wasn't an extremely impressive or careful packing job. And, if you add the fact that the US Postal Service obviously was not careful with the package (one of the corners was pretty smashed up, despite the word "FRAGILE" written in large letters in multiple places), I can see how both tweeters could have broken... :erk:
That pisses me off a lot now, actually. I'm going to test the tweeters like you suggested, or at least try them with a different source, but I'm thinking now that they're probably broken, and I'll have to buy new tweeters.

Alright, so new question. There are always "new NS-10 tweeters" auctions on e-bay, such as this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-NEW-YAMAHA-NS...ryZ23794QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The first thing my friend asked me when I told him that I bought some NS-10s was, "Are they the original tweeters?", making me think that there are replacement tweeters that are inferior to originals. Am I making that up? Do I need to know anything special before buying two "new" tweeters from e-bay?
Thanks for your help, dude.

From what i remember about easly NS10s the newer tweekers are better than the original ones. The originals were the ones you used to see with tissue paper over them to take a bit of top end off. Thats probably what he meant. I know Yamaha UK still stock the drivers and they are available from studio spares. Im sure someone in the USA will stock them

From what i remember about easly NS10s the newer tweekers are better than the original ones. The originals were the ones you used to see with tissue paper over them to take a bit of top end off. Thats probably what he meant. I know Yamaha UK still stock the drivers and they are available from studio spares. Im sure someone in the USA will stock them

Yeah NS10-M are the newer ones. I guess the M stands for modyfied or something. But it's the real deal

NS-10 tweeters that are completely silent are blown. I've changed them out many, many times during sessions. Woofers, too. The woofers keep working though, they just sound like shit.

Open the cabinet and check the connections. It's simple.

Bitch slap the dude who sold them to you. He's a fvcking liar.

Once you get your 10's working, do the fuse mod so you won't have to change out the speakers again.

NS-10 tweeters that are completely silent are blown. I've changed them out many, many times during sessions. Woofers, too. The woofers keep working though, they just sound like shit.

Open the cabinet and check the connections. It's simple.

Bitch slap the dude who sold them to you. He's a fvcking liar.

Once you get your 10's working, do the fuse mod so you won't have to change out the speakers again.

So how sure are you that the guy is a liar, opposed to the tweeters breaking during shipping? I suppose if he was a total dickhead, he could have packed the speakers poorly on purpose, and maybe even smashed the corner of the box before even putting the speakers in, just so that he could pin the blame on shipping. That would be some totally shady, premeditated garbage, but who knows...

I have the NS-10M series, by the way. Do you have a link detailing this fuse mod thing?

So how sure are you that the guy is a liar, opposed to the tweeters breaking during shipping?

Lol. There is no way in hell that the tweeters could break during shipping. NS -10 tweeters are solid as a rock. Make sure they're connected, and if they are you need to let el douchebag know what's up.

As for the fuse mod, I don't know if it's on the net or not but I know people that can do it if you're in L.A. anytime soon. It's a must for these monitors. There should be some cats in Seattle that know what's up. Maybe try calling the place that used to be Bad Animals or some of the other bigger rooms.

I have isolated the tweeter issue. My power amp is working fine and does a perfect job fully driving other sets of speakers. Also, I have verified that there is a healthy high freqency signal being sent within the NS-10s to the tweeters, so the only culprit left are the tweeters themselves.
I just sent a message to the guy (a kind message), so I'll let you know how he responds. He also initially told me that the $65 I paid for shipping included insurance, so I hope he has some kind of insurance info to give me.

I sure didn't expect any issues coming from a guy who described the speakers as being in "PERFECT CONDITION, USED GENTLY IN MY VIDEO EDITING SUITE"...

aany joy yet??
im really wanna nab some ns10s of the 'bay now but im concerned
well if it helps any I ordered a lottttttt of stuff from Ebay but then Fedex dropped my cab and shattered every speaker but would that keep me from buying another cab from Ebay? Probably not. Just not through Fedex as their customer service sucks. :lol: If you get a good deal I say go for it. Like my MXL 603s I got for $110 for a matched pair. Ebay seems to be the only way to get NS-10s anymore anyway:cool: