Yamaha NS-10s

Aaron Smith

Envisage Audio
Feb 10, 2006
Seattle, WA
Lately I have been seriously contemplating picking up a pair of NS-10s. I really enjoy using my powered KRK Rokit-8s, but being that so many studios use NS-10s in addition to something else, I'm really thinking that having the NS-10s to go back and forth to would really help me get things even tighter and just be a good thing in general for studio growth. But I've never used NS-10s before, so my question is...if I were to get them and of course familiarize myself with the way they sound, what would they do for me that my Rokit-8s won't? I've heard that the point of NS-10s are to sound "bad", so that if you can actually make something sound pretty good on them, it will sound even better on higher quality speakers. But that doesn't really explain why it wasn't easier to just go for the good speakers in the first place. I just want someone to try to help me demystify the NS-10.
Thanks!

Thats pretty much it. If you can make something sound good on them it should sound great on most things. Obviously with referencing on other speakers as well. I believe its just that they lean more towards hi fi than most other monitors but its been a while since Ive used them myself so im happy to be corrected

It's not that simple. I've heard of great names tracking with them (from reliable sources). I guess I depends on how much you know them.
They do not sound "bad", they sound unpleasant and are quite limited in the low frequency range.
Not exactly Hi-fi (flattering) nor flat.
Also, the amp is very important. It need to be very punchy to make the NS-10 useable.
They can display useful informations in the mid range. How a vocal part sits in the mix for example...

NS-10's don't sugarcoat like most other monitors do. If you play something back on 10's that you mixed on other monitors, you'll definitely hear things (especially balance) that you didn't notice before. They can sound great if you're sitting in the sweet spot. It'll take awhile before you really understand how to use them. NS-10 noobs usually make muddy sounding mixes on them until they get acquainted with the sound.

I hate my RP-8's. Especially in the 300Hz-500Hz range.

I've worked on NS10's for years, and I'm very used to them. I actually think that what they play in my studio is what I am hearing outside of the studio as well. Contrary to big sized Genelec's or equivalent, which will - yes good work - sugarcoat everything you do. Of course it's possible to do great mixes on monitors that does sound sweet or hi-fi, but for me, it's just better to start off trying to make everything sound great on NS10's, and it will sound great elsewhere. I don't use a sub, but I check the low-end on my JBL 4412's. Old crap, but good for low-end.