anyone want to help with my avatar?

mdmatt4ever

Sep 27, 2006
i can't get the picture resized to 100x100 and still fit the entire thing in the avatar. any suggestions or anyone want to see if they can shrink it correctly?

whats funny is it looks like it says QUEEN. guess that was mercury's last album?

There's no way you can just shrink that album cover and still have the text readable, or any of the detail. If it were me, I'd do something like this, which is a patchwork of the key details. The text is still hard to read, but not much you can do about such a thin font at such a small size...

hearnow.jpg

What program do you use to manipulate pics? I have been using Paint Shop Pro for years now (version XI is the latest) and that allows me to manipulate pic size and zillion other stuff. In general terms any softaware that allows you to manipulate the image size, colors, etc will do the trick.

Now if you want like TSO mentioned to reduce the picture and still have all the details, that's not possible at 100 x 100.

I'm sure he's using one of those freebie image editors (like the piece of shit that comes with Windows). Those things are worthless because when you re-size pictures it automatically CROPS them, and I have yet to find a way around that (using the piece of shit that comes with Windows).

I'm a Photoshop guy so I have the BIG GUNS! PSP has almost caught up to PS in recent years though and is a good program to have, especially if you're not a trained graphic artist.

yeah i just used whatever crap comes with windows but it never croped the photo that band when resizing it. i'm gonna use the one TSO made because its better than having it look like it says queen. the megadeth forum somehow resizes the image to fit and its not croped at all

Some forums will automatically reduce the avatar for you, Matt. Most people don't know how to resize graphics so they build that in to prevent people from using HUGE avatars that screw up the page layout. That's an expensive feature to add though, and I'm sure Deron isn't making enough dinero to include that feature here on UM.

Frankly, that's not a good album cover to make into a tiny avatar. You want the simplest artwork possible. You can try it out on the Megadeth forums where it's automatically re-sized, but you won't like the result. I think it would be better without the text, just a close up of an ear in a jar or the one in the sand...and let people guess what it is from.

An image can be resized fairly easily in Microsoft Paint and saved as bmp:

Copy & paste an image into Paint. Crop the borders down to the edge of the image, if necessary.
Select Image > Attributes. Select "pixels" button & note the dimensions.
Select Image > Stretch / Skew, and stretch by % necessary to reduce image to < 100 x 100.

Some forums will automatically reduce the avatar for you, Matt. Most people don't know how to resize graphics so they build that in to prevent people from using HUGE avatars that screw up the page layout. That's an expensive feature to add though, and I'm sure Deron isn't making enough dinero to include that feature here on UM.

Frankly, that's not a good album cover to make into a tiny avatar. You want the simplest artwork possible. You can try it out on the Megadeth forums where it's automatically re-sized, but you won't like the result. I think it would be better without the text, just a close up of an ear in a jar or the one in the sand...and let people guess what it is from.

it looks ok on the megadeth forum

I'd like to see it, but the snobs won't let you view the Megadeth forum without signing up. That irks me. :mad:

Yes that's a situation worth a discussion. I have checked many forums in my life and always pisses me off when you have to sign up just to see. I mean it would be better if they give the people a chance to see and then decide if it worth to join or not, a bit like downloading an album before purchasing.

I know some forums where even people who are guests can post, but that opens the possibility to a lot of spam, flames or idiotic posts so the moderator have an extra duty. The best is like UM, you can peek but you can't post until you signed.

I use Irfanview. It's a free program and a wonderful one indeed. It let's you re-size to exact pixels and save the picture in loads of different formats. Recommend it.

An image can be resized fairly easily in Microsoft Paint and saved as bmp:

Copy & paste an image into Paint. Crop the borders down to the edge of the image, if necessary.
Select Image > Attributes. Select "pixels" button & note the dimensions.
Select Image > Stretch / Skew, and stretch by % necessary to reduce image to < 100 x 100.

Finding 100 x 100 avatars is something I dread. These instructions worked for me, and were something I could handle. Thanks!

Since I'm a graphic artist by trade, I might be a lot pickier than you. I'd like to see it, but the snobs won't let you view the Megadeth forum without signing up. That irks me. :mad:

you have to be a fan club member to go on the queensryche forum :mad: i might change my avatar on here back to the promised land album cover because its a simpler design and shrinking it won't crop out anything

It's not really a very complicated thing to resize an image, there's a function in the default PHP library (which this forum software uses) that does just that, here. I wouldn't pay 2&#8364; for the ~20 lines of code this operation requires. :loco:

cannibalcorpse said:
I use Irfanview. It's a free program and a wonderful one indeed. It let's you re-size to exact pixels and save the picture in loads of different formats. Recommend it.
Yep, IrfanView is excellent for all resizing and other minor image tasks. For anything more complex I use Paint.net which is also free. Photoshop obviously is the Big Bertha in this field but as the name suggests, photo editing is what it's for primarily. For little twiddling like this I find a bit cumbersome but I guess whatever gets the job done is a good tool.

Yes that's a situation worth a discussion. I have checked many forums in my life and always pisses me off when you have to sign up just to see. I mean it would be better if they give the people a chance to see and then decide if it worth to join or not, a bit like downloading an album before purchasing.

I know some forums where even people who are guests can post, but that opens the possibility to a lot of spam, flames or idiotic posts so the moderator have an extra duty. The best is like UM, you can peek but you can't post until you signed.

Amen Brother! My feelings exactly. I refuse to sign up for a site/forum that won't even let me preview the content. That's bullshit. Deron has a clue and Ultimate Metal forums are set up perfectly, you can view as often as you like, but can't post until you sign up.

Agreed, I forgot about Irfanview. I used to use that back in the old days before I got Photoshop. It's been 10 years since I've seen the interface, but I remember it being very user-friendly, no matter what your skill level.

Finding 100 x 100 avatars is something I dread. These instructions worked for me, and were something I could handle. Thanks!

Those instructions are ridiculous. You have to pull out a freaking calculator to figure out what % you need to shrink the image to get it from original size down to 100 pixels. Also, that piece of shit has no way to maintain aspect ratio, meaning you have to calculate BOTH height and width. In all respectable image editing programs, the height and width are linked, so if you bring the width down to 100 pixels, the height automatically changes to keep the image from being stretched vertically or horizontally. Junk, that program is junk! And it irritates me because I often have people ask me how to resize images without having to buy any software. That free Windows program is the only one that I KNOW everyone has on their system. But it's worthless.

Those instructions are ridiculous. You have to pull out a freaking calculator to figure out what % you need to shrink the image to get it from original size down to 100 pixels. Also, that piece of shit has no way to maintain aspect ratio, meaning you have to calculate BOTH height and width. In all respectable image editing programs, the height and width are linked, so if you bring the width down to 100 pixels, the height automatically changes to keep the image from being stretched vertically or horizontally. Junk, that program is junk! And it irritates me because I often have people ask me how to resize images without having to buy any software. That free Windows program is the only one that I KNOW everyone has on their system. But it's worthless.

Chill... just use the same % for horiz & vertical to keep the aspect ratio.