Anyone (well, axeman720/Mark) have details on the new TBDM CD?

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
I love it! I love the mix, and the guitars are just killer!

Anyone have any details as to what made it in the mix? Seems like I've heard Mesa and Peaveys in the past, but the CD liner notes list Randall as an endorsement as well. Curious to hear what was used. While there are many high gain tones that sound excellent these days, there is something visceral (for lack of a better word) about this tone that is just awesome.

Hey glad you enjoy this record, i had a blast makin it.

Myself and jason produced, with jason mixing this one.

I tracked guitars and bass in michigan, tracked drums in fl and jason tracked vox in fl with us handling all the mixing at audiohammer as well.

I used an evh 5150III through a mesa oversize recto cab with my normal 57/201 combo through vintech preamps.

Leads were our uberschall through a marshall cab with v30s through a 57 and vintech as well.

I also want to point out that there was practically ZERO drum editing on this album. It took me about six hours to go through the drum tracks TWICE. I only even did this just to make myself feel like i was actually doing work, haha. What you hear is exactly what happened and how it happened. Everyone should know that shannon requires NO help in sounding the way he does. Hes a freak.

Drums were typical setup

Kicks were triggered straight in (thats what shannon prefers)

Snare was 57 or i5 (api) and a 414 (isa) on top. 57 (ssl) on bottom.

Toms were 421 (api) and 604 (ssl) on bottom. Floor tom was beta 52 (api) and audix d6 on bottom (ssl)

Overheads were km 184 (isa)

Aux cymbals were 81 or 451 (focusrite red)

Rooms were some modified tube mics that sound similar to a c12 through some pres i cant remember.

Well i hope this helps and that everyone enjoys this album as much as i do!

It sounds great Mark. The 5150III tones are just killer. It seems they really went out of thier way to point who did what and where at in the liner notes. Maybe I'm reading more into it, but it seems like your work is on a higher profile than normal AudioHammer stuff, which is great.

I don't want you to "give away the farm", but do you mind sharing where the kick sound was sourced? It sounds great, too.

In watching Shannon's drum vids on the bonus DVD, it seemed like he was pretty solid.

This CD is right up there with Behemoth's for my 2 top this year. Stylistically there is no comparison to say which is better IMO, but this seriously kills. I think their writing has matured, and the production is top notch.

Hey glad you enjoy this record, i had a blast makin it.

Myself and jason produced, with jason mixing this one.

I tracked guitars and bass in michigan, tracked drums in fl and jason tracked vox in fl with us handling all the mixing at audiohammer as well.

I used an evh 5150III through a mesa oversize recto cab with my normal 57/201 combo through vintech preamps.

Leads were our uberschall through a marshall cab with v30s through a 57 and vintech as well.

I also want to point out that there was practically ZERO drum editing on this album. It took me about six hours to go through the drum tracks TWICE. I only even did this just to make myself feel like i was actually doing work, haha. What you hear is exactly what happened and how it happened. Everyone should know that shannon requires NO help in sounding the way he does. Hes a freak.

Drums were typical setup

Kicks were triggered straight in (thats what shannon prefers)

Snare was 57 or i5 (api) and a 414 (isa) on top. 57 (ssl) on bottom.

Toms were 421 (api) and 604 (ssl) on bottom. Floor tom was beta 52 (api) and audix d6 on bottom (ssl)

Overheads were km 184 (isa)

Aux cymbals were 81 or 451 (focusrite red)

Rooms were some modified tube mics that sound similar to a c12 through some pres i cant remember.

Well i hope this helps and that everyone enjoys this album as much as i do!

such a sick set up.

really great job on this mix and on the cd

Is he so consistent? I mean unless you replaced a lot, it seems he slams those toms ;)
Anyway the production is awesome on this record Mark.
Black dahlia have those incredible crunchy mids on guitars, that few have.

Cheers

Thanks guys! Glad everyone digs this much, i love this record.

There is zero tom replacement on the album. I really dig the naturalness of the toms etc...

Snare sample is a sample i made of a joey jordison snare, believe it or not. And the kick is a dw 22" kick that is one of my favorite samples. We've used that one a few times. That kick sample was made with a d6 and subkick through a 1081 and api then i ran the sample through a pultec for additional eq. Wish i could remember what beater i used on that one, its a big part of the sound. I think it was a wood beater... but not sure.

Also there is alot of real snare on this drum mix... especially on the blasts. I do wish we would have automated a bit more real snare up in the rolls, but i'll live, heh.

Who is TBDM?

ocd-family-guys-buzz-killington-20090605014401901-000.jpg

ehhhhhh

Tracked at barts house. Just brought my isa428 with the converter card, which sounds great and we just did everything there. Very comfortable and fun enviroment.