ANZAC Day

Originally posted by Sullen Jester
People will wait around for 'God's intervention', or some other 'miracle', not not do anything themselves. I once spoke to a homeless guy (one of many) who were often preached to by a Preist, and after all his 'work', I gave him money and asked "Why don't you try to take care of yourself, go on the dole, and attempt a new start?". He looked like he was taking it all into consideration and told me "God will take care of me, I feel it".

He was consigning himself to death because one man told him a mysterious godhead would take care of him.
Yeah, I agree that it's kinda limiting to look at life that way, but some people find comfort in it... Anyways, it just something I think about when I'm sitting around pondering things... It has little to do with my day to day actions... If I could figure out a way to really make a difference in the world, I would jump on it... Unfortunately, it escapes me (and most people, it would seem...) But, that's dangerous territory too... Too many are indifferent, that's just as bad as putting all your faith in a god, you know?

I'm not sure if a global incident or anything that significant could bring the whole world to a level of understanding - there will be people not wanting to listen, there will be people who don't want to let go of what they have (money, power, etc). I think the people who have been in charge for the past millenium or so have sent us far enough to hell to never turn back.
You may very well be right... We won't know for sure until it happens however... How do you get an entire planet worth of people to be positive? Hmmm...

Scripture for April 24
“You know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were banged from the unclefucking empty way of life fucked down to you from your forefathers, but with the blowing gamahuches blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.” 1 Peter 1:18 and 19

I think you have one fucked up idea abou what the ANZAC tradition really is, and I think it may stem from your childish inability to stand up to your father and say "dad...I don't want to help you this year because I don't really give a fuck about anything but myself!"
ANZAC Day isn't a holiday you dumb fuck it's a chance for us all to remember the fallen whether they fought for our freedom or because of some master of puppets told them to. Men don't rush off happily to war just because they were told to by the government. War does suck and any man who has ever fought in one will tell you the same. ANZAC Day doesn't glorify war or any of the atrocities of war...have you ever seen a grown man cry whilst telling a story of his time at war?...obviously not!
Sullen..you suck. You have no integrity. No honour and your father should be ashamed of you.
I'm sure you enjoy the australian way of life without a care in the world. Do you even have a job?
If you even read the original post you would see nothing in there about war or about celebrating war. It's about respect which I thought you would have enough of to keep your childish and selfish posts to yourself.

Originally posted by sinsofman
I think you have one fucked up idea abou what the ANZAC tradition really is, and I think it may stem from your childish inability to stand up to your father and say "dad...I don't want to help you this year because I don't really give a fuck about anything but myself!"
ANZAC Day isn't a holiday you dumb fuck it's a chance for us all to remember the fallen whether they fought for our freedom or because of some master of puppets told them to. Men don't rush off happily to war just because they were told to by the government. War does suck and any man who has ever fought in one will tell you the same. ANZAC Day doesn't glorify war or any of the atrocities of war...have you ever seen a grown man cry whilst telling a story of his time at war?...obviously not!
Sullen..you suck. You have no integrity. No honour and your father should be ashamed of you.
I'm sure you enjoy the australian way of life without a care in the world. Do you even have a job?
If you even read the original post you would see nothing in there about war or about celebrating war. It's about respect which I thought you would have enough of to keep your childish and selfish posts to yourself.

Okay, it's to remember the fallen. What about the other people who died? What about the people they killed?
It's a bit selective to only remember 'our' men who died.

Since 9/11 all I have heard is propaganda - and the 'incredible' increase of people signing up for the service. All these interviews
say the one thing - 'I'm doing this for a chance at the enemy'. Do you think this could be any different for any other conflict in the age of propaganda? I doubt it.

Australian men were told that Gallopoli had manholes and barbed wire - no news about steep descents and Turkish forces. In fact, newspapers nationwide stated how fun war was, how you'd be doing a service for your country and for the monarchy.

No, ANZAC Day does not glorify war. It is the result of war being glorified.

I cannot find it in me to give my 'respect' to someone who has died before my time, to let me live in a world which is only as good as it looks. This world could be better or worse, no one can tell. I cannot find it in me to give my 'respect' to those who joined up for war, and I cannot find it in me to give my 'respect' to those who did not oppose conscription/forced enlistment.
I cannot be 'proud' for something someone else has done, especially 'in the name of..', I cannot wear my 'pride' for being under control of someone responsible for another death.

well, being turkish, i guess i can say a few things. war in all forms, in all ways, by all means, with all of its motives, reasons and bullshit is the MOST STUPID THING that mankind has done/does/will do. we all agree on that. but like the you guys in australia, we all have our memorial days and every nation SHOULD HAVE. patriotism (of course not at the level of fascism) is a good thing and such days are opportunities to take stock of such things. my great grandfathers, grandfather fought so that i could live in peace, freely. and it is a PRIVILEDGE -and a duty- for me to appreciate that. Sullen Jester, we both agree on what a terrible thing war is, but you should also discern that on such days you dont glorify war. you remember and learn lessons and see what a horrible thing war is...and last but not least you APPRECIATE.

I'm bored - so I'm thinking now.
Maybe I'm living in a world that doesn't exist, and I'm still waiting for everyone to catch up.

In a way, I'm still expecting the 'world leaders' to jump out next week and say 'We've been wrong about this the whole time, we're all human, thus, we're one nation' and no more wars. It's not going to happen.

I guess I've been judging mankind comparitively to that 'perfect world' thought. It's just as pointless as a coach telling his player that he's not as good 'as he could be'.

My main problem with ANZAC/whatever Day is the 'only' day to mourn, when there are others. 'We will only remember them on... THIS day, so you can go about your lives the other 355 days, minus holidays.'

I think that's all, for now.

I found this topic after looking up ANZAC on the boards with the search function to see if anyone had made a topic on it, that's just how proud the day makes me feel to be Australian, I JUST HAVE to read every thread made on it.

The day is for both celebration and mourning, we mourn our lost soldiers and celebrate the courage and spirit that they showed in the heat of battle.

Sullen you can't have ANZAC day 356 days of the year, it would lose all meaning if we were to do that, you of course know its celebrated on the 25th because thats when our soldiers landed at Gallipoli.

Now all I wanna do is punch this Sullen Jester fella in the face, I seriously hope he has grown up since then.

Perhaps Sullen Jester should get his hands on a book called Gallipoli by Ken Carlyon. Read it from cover to cover, then come back here and make an informed comment on the significance of ANZAC day. Men volunteered to fight at Gallipoli because the cause was something they believed in. They were lied to by their leaders, certainly, but they didn't believe they were throwing their lives away for nothing. They believed they were fighting for the greater good, for a cause higher than themselves. ANZAC day is a day to remember everyone who has served, died or suffered in war, for whatever reason, whether they wanted to be there or not. If you choose not to commemorate it, fine, but keep your ignorance to yourself.