API totally RAPING clean vocals!!

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
recording scream vox with an sm57->API->distressor...
then switching to clean vox: c414->API->Distressor....

This time I forgot to engage the pad on the API though, so the preamp was overdriven like fucking crazy (way above the red light)....and the distressor added another bit of saturation of course...

But I gotta say, even an absolutely abused API distorting and just raping the vocals still sounds musical....actually I really like the warm distortion...

here's a wee clip (it's not a mix or anything..just tracking atm..just wanted to show you how it sounds when an API is ANNIHILATIN Vocals ;)

rAPIng vox

It definitely sounds "on purpose" and seems to fit the section of the song at least. I don't know how well it'd do across the entirety of a song for the lead but i'm with you, it sounds musical at least.

+1 to this. It could sound cool as effect on a part of a song, but definitely wouldn't like it across an entire song/album.

sometimes that "peaked-out" effect is cool if your going for a lo-fi thing.

screams -> sm7b -> api = sick vocal track

I haven't had the opportunity to add a distressor into the chain. One day!

Vermute mal neue Psychosphere (so heißt ihr jetzt oder?) Sachen? Echt gut gesungen, fällt vor allem bei den hohen Tönen auf! Klingt sehr melodiös was man da hört. Nur die Blastbeats könnten schwedischer sein :)

sounds really cool, but my cat hates it, there's some high frequency thing that sounds earpiercing for him :D
slept, heard the song, screamed and left the room...actually not joking, tested it a second time.