My Audio Arts Prod. IV final proj. (JSX, Bogner, API, Reason...? content)

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
What's up guys - I'm just finishing up Audio Arts Production IV here at my school, and for my final project, I didn't have the luxury of picking my fellow members because of going to NAMM. However, the random assortment actually worked out - we had a nerdy talkative wimpy-but-friendly dude, a hip-hop producer, and a metalhead (guess which one I was), and the nerdy guy suggested doing an...eclectic cover of The Beatles' Eleanor Rigby, with each of us making our contributions.

So the nerdy kid arranged the string parts and got the 5 players (bass, violin 2, viola, violin 1, cello, from L to R in the stereo field) together as well as doing main vocals (his friend came in and did the baritone/bellowing set of vocals you hear), I wrote and recorded the guitars, and the hip hop guy did the beat, and fuck, I'm really happy with it! So without further ado...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=782553&songID=6508936

Strings were arranged in a semi-circle, with a Rode NT1-A and a Superlux CM8-HC in M/S formation pretty much in the center of the circle (in other words, take a circle, put the mics in the center, cut it in half, and the remaining half is the strings - not rocket science) into a Millennia HV-3D.

Rhythm Guitars were two tracks of JSX Ultra Channel (with KT77's) via my ESP EC-400 (EMG81) through my Bogner 2x12 w/ V30s, SM57 + MD421 on the same cone, both through an API A2D with the 2:1 switch engaged for sweet boutique coloration. Solo was my Ibanez RG through my Podxt through the API, also driven hard with the 2:1 switch.

Vox were a Rode NT1-A through the API A2D.

So any thoughts? My immediate feeling is the threshold on the limiter can come down (meaning, it should be louder), and that the vox are too sibilant, but otherwise, I'm happy (and I think the rhythm guitar tone is the best I've ever recorded :headbang:)

Thanks dude! I uploaded a new version with slightly lower guitars, louder "drums," and the sibilance supremely notched out of the vox (thanks NT1-A :Smug:) Any other comments are welcome!

definitely a lot of crunch on those gits. Badass.

And yes, the drums are much better now. The vox sound a bit dry though. Very cool song collab too btw.

Thanks Necro, I appreciate your comments - and this will serve as one last bump, cuz for all the posting I do around here, I'd like to think that I've earned some comments more than, say, Revalver/Pod test number 5,601,562...

hmm. beatles, hip hop beats, and classic instruments. sorry can't stand more then 10 seconds since you managed to put together three things wich I hate most. but productionwise I like it very much.

Hahaha, well, I was hoping my chugging guitars (and wailing solo later on) would be metal enough, but thanks anyway for trying dude :lol:

At least on this current speaker setup, the vox are way out front for my taste. I'd squash them with more compression or maybe just turn them down a bit. Perhaps a bit of stereo verb/delay and then compression in the vox chain, respectively to play into the hip-hop vibe created by the synth drums. Your guitar sounds :kickass: man.

Hey, thanks guys - Hermie, I have to admit I struggled with the vox for awhile, though I'm pretty happy with the levels at this point - they're already quite squashed and there's a fair amount of verb, also, but I'll keep listening. Thanks for the comment on the guitars, also!

this pretty cool, I agree with the vocals being a bit upfront and dry though, awesome solo, the strings sound tits, Given who you had to work with Id say you made the best of an ackward arrangement.

Hey, no worries man, I do appreciate the effort! Hell if I know as to where the influence came from for the beat, but I didn't mind it too much (though I'm hardly a connoisseur, and yes, I totally had to spell-check that word :D), and yeah, the vox, well, the high-voiced guy was our group member who came up with the idea of doing the song, so we had to throw him a bone (I didn't think the other singer was bad though).

And Manic, thanks man, your last sentence pretty much sums it up!