Soldiers Of Misfortune - First finnished song for my solo project

SkyMan666

How do record? \O_o/
Feb 7, 2008
Hey there.

I'm proudly presenting you my first finnished song for my Degenerator project, named Degenerated Mankind, which will be avaibile somewhere in september or october this year. I would like to hear any critique, recommendation, tips etc. on the whole mix. I've already noticed, that at the end of this song (on the part, where is scream vox) there is too much high frequencies. I'll fix that asap.

I've used EZ DFH for drums (with Steven Slate samples on snare). For EQ the most common was API-560, compression has been made with API-2500 and LA2A from my UAD-Ultra. For reverb I've mixed together the UAD DreamVerb, Plate 140 and Steinberg's RoomWorks. That's pretty much it about drums.

Guitars: All has been recorded through my PODxt with 5150 & ENGL PowerBall ampsims... Quad-tracking for every song, additionaly 2-3 tracks for some harmonic parts, octave, or random riffs just to fulfill the song :D. Panning was 100 & 90 % for both sides. I've used impulses for all of the tracks (the Clayman and Andy's impulse for both guitar ampsims). All of the gtr tracks were sent to the Group Channel Track with BBE's Sonic Maximizer on it. I've did a HP at 180 Hz to prevent boomy palm-mutes :9 and LP at 15 kHz to cut the highs. That's pretty much it.

Bass: Programmed with Spectrasonics Trilogy, then bossted through Ampeg SVX.

Vocal: Recored with Behringer C-1 condenser mic. Chain: Behringer C-1 --> TAMPA Mic-Pre --> RME in --> Cubase 3. Processed with API-560 EQ, API-2500 Compressor, Waves RDeEsser, Steinberg Modelay and Overdrive.

That's pretty much it. I'd really love to have any feedback.

Soldiers Of Misfortune V2

Enjoy.

BR, SkyMan

I hate the fucking whiney high pitched vox, but apart from that, it sounds ace man, I wanna hear more of the dude with the filtered almost American Head Charge style vox lol.

Hey. I'm glad you like it. You hate high pitched vox? :D Well, I thought it might be interesting to combine 2 different styles in one verse... :) Otherwise, thanx for input. You'll hear more soon. Right now I'm in the middle of recording the second song. Will post results soon.

Take care, SkyMan

Well I don't hate high pitched vox, just that almost pig squealing stuff just really narks me lol. Overall man, the mix was pretty cool, keep at it. :)

Hey.

Here's my way of routing the EZ DFH. I've just follow the Splat88's routing scheme (he use Superior)
Now, I run 4 MIDI tracks.
1st MIDI DFH track: Snare only, everything else is disabled (lets say: 14" Ayotte) ---> You apply Multichannel output in EZ Mixer, so that would lead us to:
- EZ1 -> None
- EZ2 -> Snare Top,
- EZ3 -> Snare Bottom
- EZ4,5 -> None
- EZ6 -> OH (with Bleed function ON)
- EZ7 -> Room
- EZ8 -> Comp Room
2nd MIDI DFH Track: Kick only:
- EZ1 (2) -> Kick
- EZ2,3,4,5 (2) -> None
- EZ6 (2) -> OH (Bleed ON)
- EZ7 (2) -> Room
- EZ8 (2) -> Comp Room
3rd MIDI DFH Track: Toms only:
- EZ1 (3) -> Tom1 10"
- EZ2 (3) -> Tom2 12"
- EZ3 (3) -> Tom3 13"
- EZ4 (3) -> Floor Tom1 16"
- EZ5 (3) -> Floor Tom2 18"
- EZ6 (3) -> OH (Bleed ON)
- EZ7 (3) -> Room
- EZ8 (3) -> Comp Room
4th MIDI DFH Track: Cymbals and HH only:
- EZ1,2,3,5 (4) -> None
- EZ4 (4) -> HiHat
- EZ6 (4) -> OH (Bleed here is not important, since there are only cymbals loaded )
- EZ7 (4) -> Room
- EZ8 (4) -> Comp Room
-----------------

Then it depends of the style, guitar sound etc. Fuge, don't ask me :D You have better tom sound than me.... :D
Snare is SS Snare 11A Z2 and has only LA2A applied.
About EQ and Comp I've post earlier: it's mainly API-560 and API-2500, sometimes Rcomp. That's it... I cannot tell you exact settings, because they are different from song to song (because I was trying to get decent tone)... Follow that scheme and you'll be just fine :D :lol::zombie:
Thanx for input.

Take care, SkyMan

Wow. You think you could tell me the settings of your Pod? I can't get any sound like that out of mine. D:

Hey.

NOt a problem, I'll have to bring my POD home... :D If you're lookin for that tone, try messin' around with 5150 and ENGL ampsim (both of them with Line 6 4x12 cabsim) with 57 on-axis and gate on (around 15 % and perhaps 4 % of decay)... Drive about 2 or 3 o' clock... Presence at 4 or 5 o'clock... Reverb 0 %, room 50 %... That's it (at least I think so)... Then apply Voxengo CurveEQ with Clayman and Andy's impulse for each of two tracks for both of the ampsims (if you quad-track your songs)...
1. 5150 with Clayman
2. 5150 with Andy's
3. ENGL with Clayman
4. ENGL with Andy's

BR, SkyMan

I wanna hear more of the dude with the filtered almost American Head Charge style vox lol.

Thanx a lot. I've skipped this one. Well, here's another one, called SWARMS...

What do you guys think about iz? Vocals are first draft... Some parts sounds cool to me, specially that "Alice Cooper style" :D in the middle of the song.

Feedback appreciated.

Enjoy.

BR, SkyMan