Apogee One - anyone recorded a gig or rehearsal?

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
I'm going to be needing a small interface to take with me overseas next fall, and figured I'd get something that would pull double duty in the meantime and afterwards.

I'm basically going between an Apogee One or Duet.

The Duet is nice in that I get 2 channels, dedicated 1/4" outputs, and a separate headphone jack. Theoretically, I could record ampsim + DI's with it or even reamp with it, in addition to using it as really portable interface with good AD/DA onboard.

The One, on the other hand, is not only half the price, but has that onboard mic. I think it'd be really cool to be able to set my laptop and the one on a small tripod near the FOH spot of a venue or somewhere in our rehearsal place and record gigs and rehearsals. That's assuming the One actually sounds good in situations like that, though. With the Duet I could take a stereo feed from the board or run a stereo mic, but that's not quite as handy as just a laptop, a USB cable, and an interface.

We wouldn't use the recordings for anything official to be released or anything, more for something of better quality to pair with filming so we can do video updates, gig videos, etc without being limited by the mic on a FlipHD or something that's being obliterated by SPL.

So, has anyone recorded a gig or rehearsal with the One, and could give a review or even post a clip? Or would I be significantly better off dropping the cash/dealing with the added baggage/setup time of a Duet and a pair of NT5's or something?