Apogee Duet (or other devices) users on Di recording ?

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello,

I am super satisfied of my little Apogee Duet. Sounds great for the price, and integrates so well in mac Os.

I am just curious : I have recorded for the first time in years using a DI box with it as opposed to using the instrument input. Chain is :

Guitare passive Seymour Duncans (ESP) > Countryman Type85 DI > mic input

Phantom 48v used to power the type85, and the box set up correctly with "pickup' at the front and "open" at the back.

The thing is, the input gain is super loud. With gain at 1 (out of 10 or 20 I don't know) it's already peaking at -3dBFS, at 3 it starts clipping and any more sounds distorted.

Is it normal with apogee preamps ? I tried to find any internal gain setting, but i couldn't find it.

It's working fine, I'm just so surprised of having so much gain out of it, I remember having to use moderate settings using the Di Box is a Profire 2626 interface

I haven't tried it with a DI box, but i've had a similar thing happen to me while tracking guitars (instrument input though). Even with gain at minimum sometimes certain guitars with certain pickups end up clipping.

I have a line 6 UX1 I have been using as just an interface and it clips like crazy. I have EMGs so my DI's are horrible to work with. I compared some plug-in settings with someone else's DI's and my own to find out that the gain on mine where just so much more. They work decent with POD Farm but using any other Amp Sims is out of the question.
I plan on getting a Scarlett 2i4 and just replacing the UX1. Apparently the pad on it helps ease the gain without having to sacrifice tone.

I have a line 6 UX1 I have been using as just an interface and it clips like crazy. I have EMGs so my DI's are horrible to work with. I compared some plug-in settings with someone else's DI's and my own to find out that the gain on mine where just so much more. They work decent with POD Farm but using any other Amp Sims is out of the question.
I plan on getting a Scarlett 2i4 and just replacing the UX1. Apparently the pad on it helps ease the gain without having to sacrifice tone.

I had a UX1 and a guitar with EMG 81/85s and it was totally fine...some Line 6 products have an automatic input db boost, so make sure everything is set up correctly in your control panel before you write it off.

Well thing is I got it used, and it came to me in somewhat decent conditions. I know the UX1 has great capabilities though.